5 Things To Make Time Fly During Ramadan

Tips for staying busy during the long days.

178

Muslims around the world are currently observing the holy month of Ramadan, the ninth month on the Islamic calendar. This is the one of the holiest and most important months of the year, and Muslims observe it by fasting every day from sunrise to sunset. The starting date for Ramadan goes back 11 days every year since the Islamic calendar goes by the lunar calendar. When I was younger, Ramadan and Eid ul-Fitr (the celebration at the end of Ramadan) were during the winter and fall seasons, making the fasts much shorter and more bearable. However, for the past few years Ramadan has been falling in the summer time (like it is right now!) and the fasts have become longer and sometimes more tiring. Needless to say, this is also a month of contemplation and prayer, so a lot of time is spent in devotion but there are still plenty of hours to kill during these long days. So here are some good suggestions for how to make the time go by more quickly when you are fasting:

Read a book

If you’re a bookworm like me, your to-be-read list is probably infinite. So get a jump on it! Pick a few books (depending on how fast a reader you are) that you’ve been wanting to get to and start reading! Whether it is fiction or non-fiction, fantasy or thriller, a good book always makes time fly. Even if you aren’t an avid reader, this could be a good time to read something new, especially if you have a lot of free time. If you’re having trouble finding a place to start looking for good books to read, I would highly recommend Goodreads, which has endless lists of book suggestions, not just by genre but also by topic. It is a real gem!

Go for a walk

I know, I know, its summer and it is hot out. But if you’re feeling particularly tired or groggy, a short walk outside could really wake you up. The fresh air and sunshine always make me want to be more productive, and even just take a break from all the hustle and bustle of everyday life (which is an important part of this month) and take everything in. You get to just be present, enjoy things how they are in that moment. It can really clear your head! A little time outdoors can be incredibly rejuvenating!

Read the Quran

One of the most important parts of this month, along with fasting, is reading Quran and praying Namaz. I know that when I was younger, I used to try and avoid it because it never interested me, but as I got older, I realized not only how important it was but that doing so would really help me get closer to my faith and understand it better. Memorizing surahs and reading the Quran with translation is a great way to increase your knowledge and understanding of Islam. Reading the Quran with translation is especially important because if you’re like me, Arabic is not your first language and therefore you won’t understand what you’re reading until you are reading in your native language. I know that when I was growing up, I didn’t enjoy reading Quran because I didn’t understand it (As Muslims we are supposed to read Quran in Arabic before any other language), but once I started reading with the translation it opened up a lot of doors and really became a more engaging activity for me. The translation really helps you comprehend what you are reading and it increases your awareness about your faith.

Find a hobby/pick up on an old hobby

During your free time, I’m sure there are plenty of things you’ve wanted to try but didn’t have the time to or you weren’t able to find something that interested you. Now is a great time to find a hobby that you like! Perhaps you’ve always wanted to start a rare coin collection, or learn how to start a garden. Possibilities are endless! And if you’re unsure of what interests you, now is a good time to shop around and try different things. Whether its sewing, art, writing, reading, cooking (for breakfast or dinner, when you can eat!), exercising (believe it or not, exercising while fasting is definitely doable!), or anything else, a hobby makes time fly like you wouldn’t believe. Mine is definitely jigsaw puzzles, anything with 1000 or more pieces. It has definitely become an addiction and I could spend hours doing them! Often I get so engrossed that I have to be reminded to do the rest of my tasks for the day!

Clean/Organize parts of the house

If you’re anything like me, procrastination is basically second nature. But when you’re fasting for hours and need something to make the time go by, believe it or not cleaning and reorganizing things actually does keep your mind occupied and it makes time go by more quickly. Whether its organizing that enormous avalanche of tupperware in your kitchen or sorting through old boxes in the basement, or cleaning out your closet this can be a great time to put things in order. I know that cleaning and organizing is not something I usually enjoy, but in some ways it really does make the time go by and I also get to check some things off my endless to-do list!

Ramadan is a great time for contemplation, prayer, and it is a time where you can learn a lot about yourself and your faith. Fasting is an important part of this month, which can be understandably long. So hopefully these suggestions will not only make time fly, but also appreciate your faith and yourself much more. Ramadan Mubarak, everyone!