5 Thoughts We Need To Be Reminded Of During Sophomore Year

Solving that slump you just can't get out of.

369
Thrive Global

As we settle into sophomore year, it seems that almost all of us have fallen into this slump that seems impossible to overcome. This mid-college career crisis has got a lot of people in a tizzy and hopefully, these 5 points help you to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1. The degree you hold does not define you.

So that girl in your general bio class is working towards a double major in biochemistry and physics with a minor in two foreign languages; you feel like gum on the bottom of someone's shoe. But let me just tell you, the degree you hold does not define you nor does it define your future happiness or success. Your major in itself is just something to work from.

For all you know, in two years you could sit next to a famous director on a train who wants you to be the main character in his next big film. Or Becky from bio ends up in an exhausting 9 to 5 with a dreadful boss.

Bottom line is you're never going to know what happens in your future or what is going to happen in anyone else's future but you definitely should not base success on the type of major you have. In saying this, comparing yourself to others never ends in great thoughts so take classes in what you love and get a major in whatever makes you happy at the time. It will not be the end of your success, but just the beginning.

2. The career you end up in does not define your quality of life.

There are a select few that came to college knowing exactly what they wanted to do. They picked up a set of dentures when they were five and ever since then have known they wanted to be a dentist; the envy is real. As for the rest of us, are we ever really going to know exactly what we want to do? Probably not and in saying this, IT IS OKAY! A vision we all tend to lose sight of is that a career is just a small detail in our huge lives.

Although the argument is that you spend most of your life working these jobs every day, we forget to think of all the time that we are not at these jobs. After you get a career that makes you enough money to live, then what do you have?

A LIFE, that part is so easily forgotten because in college we are here to focus on our future careers. In trying to figure out what you'll be happiest doing in the future, try to consider how all of the hours outside of work will be spent. To achieve maximum happiness in life do not think of what career will make you happiest but think of everything else you do and find happiness in those things.

3. That boy/girl does not control your happiness.

By this time a lot of us have experienced our first love, some more deeply than others, while some were barely affected by it. That person seemed like your rock, your most dependable source and someone who you never saw walking the opposite way when you reached out for help. But reality hits and you realize that just when you think the love you have is different, they abandon you. I hate to sound cliche but everything really does happen for a reason.

If your significant other begins to treat you poorly, you have to know your worth. Think to yourself, when I'm older and trying to succeed in life, is this person really going to support me and help me through all the hard times? If they can't even withstand the relationship in college, how will they continue it when you are finished? Its one of the hardest realizations that I've had but life gets better.

There are so many other people just waiting to meet you and appreciate everything you have to offer. Find someone that is going to encourage your creativity, wants to see you flourish and sees nothing but beauty in everything you do. They're out there and I promise it's not the girl/guy that hasn't answered you for weeks.

4. There is SO much you have to look forward to.

There is something about your sophomore year that just makes you feel stuck. Same people, same campus, same drama. This is what some people refer to as the sophomore slump. How do you get out of this so-called slump? Think of all the things you have to look forward to!

Google cool places you plan on traveling to, plan fun vacations with your friends, think about spring break too early, and just look for things in the future that will get you through the present. Get away from campus and spend a day in nature or in a small town you have never been to before.

Go to the grocery store and try a new recipe, paint one of your most memorable times, the small things will push you past the dullness. It is so hard to picture a life after college but once you realize all of the things you'll be able to do once you're not stuck going to class 5 days a week, the possibilities seem endless.

5. This is not the peak of your young adult life and you are not old.

Although you are only in college once, it does not define your young adult life. College is not a fun time for everyone, even the people who do have fun in college have to remember there is so much more post-college that fulfills your young adult life.

Sophomore year and beyond puts this unexplainable feeling in our mind that we are old and time is running out.

But most of the time, halfway through college you are not even 21 yet! When post-graduation hits, you will run right into opportunities, new people, and new places. Although you may feel stuck now, you barely qualify as a young adult and the fun has not even started! College is just a pre-game to our young adult lives.

I hope this small list of things helps you as much as it helped me. The bottom line is this isn't the end, it's solely the beginning. Surround yourself with people who care about you, do things off campus, and maybe even buy some new decorations to spice up your room. If your walls are as bare as mine when I got to school, that in itself can be pretty depressing. You are not the only one going through this mid-college crisis, it will get better.

Good luck!