Questions I Have During Game Day

5 Thoughts I Have On UMD Game Days

I have so many questions and so little answers...

15
5 Thoughts I Have On UMD Game Days
Emilia Valentina

Game days are the couple days a year where regardless of how bad your school is at sports, people come together to rally their school. It is a time for wearing your most spirited team, having an irrational hatred towards the referee, and falling in love with your school all over again. It really isn't even about the sport that you are watching or the outcome of the game, but rather it is about screaming and chanting about your school as loud as you can. Regardless, I still have several thoughts that run through my mind every time one rolls around.

Why do we have to get up so early??

If kick-off is at noon that means that I have to be up at 8 am to be able to get ready and go to a tailgate. During the entire year, I will do anything I can to make sure I do not have to wake up that early, so the fact that I have to get up so early pains me. I love my school and my team, but waking up this early definitely has a negative impact on my body and happiness.

Why is college gear so expensive?

No matter what the weather is or who we are playing, you are always expected to wear new and cute college gear to the tailgates. Over time, I have realized just how much money college gear costs. A regular t-shirt that normally costs $10 is not $25 suddenly because it has a mascot printed on it. Do not even get me started on how expensive hoodies are. Does my school want me to always be cold? Do they think I am made of money?

Should I even go to the game?

By the time kick-off time rolls around, I am absolutely exhausted. My body is not used to waking up at 8 am, so it always is ready to betray me. This is the moment when my friends, as well as myself, have to make the calculated decision as to wether or not we should go to the game. This calculation includes how tired we are, how much we want to walk, if we have any chances to win, and so much more.

Why are there so many pauses in football?

Evidently, I do not know a lot about how football works. I know enough to be able to watch the game and understand the majority of things that are going on, but one thing I do not understand is why there are so many breaks. No matter what, they are always just standing there looking around. As a soccer fan, I like fast paced games and these moments of just waiting always annoy me to not end.

When is the next game day?

Regardless of how much I complain about game days, I can't deny how much I love them. It is a perfect reminder of why I chose to go to the school that I did. The energy and excitement that goes into supporting your team is something that you really don't experience in any other scenario. So even though I am dead tired after game days, I can't wait for the next one.

At the end of the day, game days are really just a day to have fun and spread some love to your college. I complain a ton about it and have so many thoughts about it, but I am still always there at 8 AM to support our boys. If they can work all year training, then I can take one day out of my schedule to support them. So to all my Terp athletes, thank you for all that you do and if you see a crazy lady screaming in the stands at the ref, that me.