5 Things UND Students Relate To On A Personal Level About Drinking In Grand Forks

We don't only drink the occasional Busch Latte or Natty Lights because they're cheap and effective.

1269
North Dakota Tourism

We can't drink our beer on a sandy beach like those that go to the U in Miami Florida. We can't play beer darts in January after golfing like those that go to ASU. We can't ever play beer pong outside like any other college student anywhere else, because Chicago is falsely labeled as "The Windy City" compared to Grand Forks.

So, we resort to drinking indoors six months out of the year at the wonderful establishments that understand our weekday struggles and our weekend aspirations.

1. O'really's has the best specials on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays

Ah, Oreally's. The Irish pub that is mostly inhabited by those who aren't a lick of Irish. UND student's know O'really's is the home to the twice a week tea party on Thursdays and Sundays. $1.50 long island teas doesn't quite have the same ring to it as dollar long island teas, but we will still fork out the extra money we should be spending on laundry day, to get a little bit tipsy (or a lot) midway through the week, or after a weekend full of far too much money being spent on alcohol.

So throw your reds in with your whites, wear your new favorite pink shirt downtown, and use those quarters you saved to buy yourself a long island tea after you finished cleaning your clothes. But, we all beg them to drop the price back down to $1. It makes it a little easier to double fist all night long, and it has a better ring to it.

Oh, and Wednesdays are meant for those that like the Irish part of O'really's. Irish music, Irish beer, and Irish whiskey are all the special pieces that make Wednesday nights a dream for those who don't have class early on Thursday mornings.

2. The layout of downtown bars is a blessing, especially for winter weather

Everyone has a bar they start at. Luckily, that bar is only 2 blocks away from everyone's end point. The bars everyone goes to are all spaced out within a 3 block walking distance. So each bar that you hop to is not very far away from the next bar you plan on going to.

A lot of people actually have a traditional bar hopping order as well. For mine, I usually start at Bonzers, promptly make my way down the street to the loft, then meander my way around the corner to O'really's. From there, I'll either attempt to cross the street to Brick & Barley's or end up crawling, stumbling, or tight-roping my way to good ol' Joe Blacks. Either way, I always end at Joe Blacks. Just like everyone else.

3. Your mamma was right, nothing good ever happens after midnight, especially at Joe Blacks

You end your night at Joe Blacks. It's an unwritten rule - everyone that is hammered usually gallivants their way on the sidewalks of 3rd street, all the way down to Joe Blacks after midnight.

Oh, the things you will see at Joe Blacks on any given Friday or Saturday night. 95% of the 21 and over UND community, that participates in downtown festivities, has a story or two about late-night Joe Blacks binges. We love the place. It's a reunion spot for absolutely every college kid that goes downtown.

Most of the time, it's where you'll find your friend that went a little too far during the pregame party and somehow convinced everyone it was a good idea to let them go downtown. It's a magical place full of people. Do not take it lightly when I say "full." Most of the time, it takes you forever to get from the door to the bathroom, or from the bathroom to the bar.

4. The Parrot's Cay has the absolute best chicken wings — but reader beware, if you aren't 21, I wouldn't dare

The closest thing any of us will get to a beach or even an ocean atmosphere during the semester is The Parrot's Cay. The wings will make you never want to go to Buffalo Wild Wings ever again. Especially because the price of a full order of wings and a pitcher of beer on Wednesday and Thursday nights is only 16 dollars. A little more than the laundry money spoke of earlier, but it's well worth it for the amazing wings and ale you're consuming in return.

However, if you even think you can get away with using a fake ID, don't do it at the Cay. The guy that seems to always be the one checking identification examines it like a hawk for a good amount of time, long enough to make you almost want to confess if you're using a fake; he is on par with an actual ID scanner, in my opinion. Just do yourself a favor, and don't even try.

5. You can try take away Springfest from UND, but you'll never be able to REALLY take Springest away from UND

The Saturday after reading and review day, of the spring semester, is by far the most fun-filled day you will have while binge drinking in college, mainly because you're doing everything but reading and reviewing for finals during that weekend. Freshman experiencing it for the first time will be sad after it passes on their final spring semester.

Some kids purposely graduate in the spring to take part in it. Some kids plan their schedule around it. Some kids will mark it on their calendar and have countdowns for it. After being pent up indoors, it's finally nice enough to go outside, play beer darts, walk all the way down University, and just socialize outdoors with a beer in hand. Just be careful to stay on private property. UPD will bust you if you have alcohol on public property.