5 Things To Do in Oslo

5 Things To Do in Oslo

A gem of Scandinavia and Europe.

165
5 Things To Do in Oslo
Doug Diaz

As a globe-trotting hobo, I have a general idea of what to expect before traveling to a new place. However, Oslo took me completely by surprise. Smaller than most capitals, the city has a grand assortment of sightseeing options. Many center around artistic and architectural spectacles. Here are my top five recommendations.

1. Visit the Ibsen House

Easily one of the most underrated writers in history. This museum offers two separate, but doable, tour options. The first tour involves a guide through his restored apartment, detailing the history of his creative process. A second option is the self-guided museum tour to view his numerous displays. This includes an assortment of national decorations, a football-style trophy, and an exhibition showing his influence on The Beatles artist John Lennon. Be sure to read some of Ibsen's plays before visiting.

2. Visit Vigeland Park

With over 200 sculptures across 80 acres of space. This garden serves as a monolith to artistic enterprise. Vigeland's vision explores the relationships between life and death, men and women, adolescence and adulthood, and the overall cyclical nature of human life. Each sculpture is complete with its own human characteristics, creating a unique individuality for the objects. It's absolutely a must for photographers looking to hone their skills. If you have time, make sure to check out the museum for some extra information on the artist's vision.

3. Catch a show at the Oslo Opera House

A modern spectacle, the architecture of this building is reason enough to visit. Visitors can clamber atop the structure's roof for spectacular views of Oslo's waterways. Home to the national opera and ballet, the venue also features some of the best theatrical performances in Europe. It's also perfectly fine to enter the building to explore the creative interior designs. Lastly, If you do climb to the rooftop, be sure to watch your step. It's an uneven climb.

4. Visit the Nasjonal Museet

Let's be honest the majority of visitors merely jolt to the Edvard Munch display. That's a rather insincere disservice to the palatte of Norway artists, such as Christian Krohg and Harold Sohlberg, that deserve a crown for their own innovative techniques. Visitors will be surprised at the stunning variety offered by some of Scandinavia's finest painters. Another great feature is the thematic events that change regularly. This ranges from architectural prints to photography spreads.

5. Visit the Nobel Peace Center

Don't confuse this with the Nobel Museum. That's in Stockholm, Sweden. Besides showcasing interactive displays of historic Peace Prize winners. The museum also has topical displays. For example, my visit featured photojournalism articles that detailed the recent F.A.R.C. peace treaty in Colombia. Another photo exhibit illustrated the refugee crisis from Syria and battles against Islamic State forces. If you're an aspiring investigative journalist, such as myself, you must visit.

There are plenty of other things that come to mind. Visitors can also rent canoes and paddle around the numerous channels. Another option is visiting the numerous Viking displays. After you've exhausted all of these options, be sure to check out the underground raves in the abandoned warehouses.