5 Activities To Do In Arizona When It's Too Hot To Function

To some people, Arizona summers mean sunburns and dehydration, but in my eyes, Arizona summers can be just as fun as any other state.

54

As the primary season in Arizona, summer heat in AZ means cranking up the AC. However, at least to me, summers in Arizona are packed with fun activities. Many of which happen indoors and we just miss out on it because well, it's too dang hot.

I find myself sweating up a storm when I am outside during the summer in Arizona, however, I still manage to make the most of my summer with these activities.

I personally do all of these activities and I hundred percent recommend them.

1. Ice Ice *skating* baby. 

Yelp

This is my favorite activity on this list so I decided to start strong. Ice skating combines two of my favorite things: wearing jackets and having the cold wind blowing through my hair. Ice skating is the perfect way to feel cool when it's over 100 degrees outside. It gives off the mirage that summer in Arizona can be cold. You don't need to be a pro ice skater, I certainly wasn't but I did get better over time.

What I love about ice skating is the atmosphere. There is music blasting, people zooming by, loud laughter, and lots of fun going on everywhere. I personally treat ice skating as my escape route from stress and enjoy it to the fullest. It also doesn't take that long to learn if you are dedicated and are okay with a bit of falling and bruising. I personally had my best friend teach me and it helped to have someone with me that knew how to skate.

If you feel like ice skating is the right activity for you, every other Friday is Fun Friday at the Scottsdale Ice Den. The price is $6 and that gives you ice skates + two hours of skating. Also, watch for the DJ when he comes out. Chances are you will win a free pass if you participate in the Macarena and Cupid Shuffle.

2. Glow up with glow in the dark indoor mini golf. 

Yelp

I actually did this activity this past Friday and it was the most fun I've had all summer. The place we went to was Lunar Golf at Paradise Valley Mall, and I know that the mall itself is withering away, but Lunar Golf was popping. The atmosphere is super fun once again since it glows in the dark. My friends and I had a great time and the course had some fun challenges and obstacles to get your ball through as well. There is also some fun oldies music playing in the background that I am sure everyone knows the lyrics to.

The price is $9 for two rounds of golf which is an incredible deal in my opinion. Plus, in the end, you have a chance to play for the winner's hole and if you score in the hole, your next visit will be free! (Yes I am proud to say I landed in the winner's hole after majorly doing bad the whole night).

3. Plenty of fish in the sea at the Odysea. 

Yelp

This might be a bit pricey but very much worth it. I love the aquarium and I actually had my senior prom there. There are tons of things to see and learn about and honestly, we spent our prom interacting more with the fish than with the dance floor. My favorite thing about aquarium is that any corner you turn, you get to see something different and new. There is a whole lot to explore when you are there and I personally loved it. They also have the butterfly land right next to them so if you are feeling like interacting with some exotic butterflies, you can just walk on over.

Prices for adults are around $34.95-37.95 and children (2-12 years) are around $23. However, if you go after 4 pm, the price for adults will drop down to $25. I think the price is super worth it for what you are getting out of your visit.

4. Bring the heat with bowling night.

Yelp

I can guarantee that a bowling night will keep you cool but bring the heat with the competition. My family and I love bowling and we always have a great time playing. Plus, they also have college night which means cheaper prices that everyone can enjoy. There is always music blasting and on Fridays, they also have glow in the dark. Everyone around you is in their zone getting strikes left and right and there's something oddly satisfying about the noise a bowling ball makes as it hits the pins.

The prices are super affordable; $8.24 unlimited bowling per person. They also have a lot of specials so make sure to keep an eye out on the AMF bowling website.

5. Grab your sunscreen and head to the water park. 

Yelp

Even though I can't swim, I still love me some time at the water park. It's a good time with your friends and family and it's also a great way to cool down. I usually go with my friends and we always laugh at how I get scared of the really big waves at the wave pool. Out of the two water parks in AZ, my favorite one is Sunsplash. I think Sunsplash has a lot more variety of rides than Wet n Wild and I also like that right after we can go play a game of mini-golf or ride some fun go-karts. There is also night splash, which could be even more fun since the weather has calmed down a little and the possibility of getting sunburnt is not high.

Admission for Sunsplash is $33.99, night splash is $18.48 and evening prices are $21.99. A little pricey but very much so worth it.

I hope that those five activities give you a little bit more hope that you can have fun in the Arizona heat when it's 120 degrees out.