5 Things My Significant Other Can Expect From Me

Instead of what I expect from them.

41
Jacob Browning

Women in today's society are needy. Let's be honest.

All over social media, girls re-post pictures of jewelry, clothing, makeup, phone cases, key chains, you name it, with the caption "I'll just leave this here." or "Hint, hint." Pictures of boys getting their girlfriend flowers go viral with sayings like "Where do men like this hide?" and "Boys, take note." Girls get upset when the boy they went on a date with didn't hold a door or didn't pay her portion of the bill. However, these girls don't really contribute anything that makes them deserve those things.

But as for me, I don't have those materialistic expectations. Yeah, I do have expectations for my significant other, they're called standards. But they don't have anything to do with buying me things, showering me with gifts, paying for every meal we eat together or holding the door for me.

I could go on and on listing actual expectations that I expect from a significant other, but that isn't fair. We can't expect things from other people without giving them things in return. So, here are 5 things I promise to always give my significant other.

1) I promise to give you respect.

I won't deceive you. I won't be sly or twist your words. I won't lay a hand on you, or say something about you behind your back. I will be kind and caring, sweet and loving, and always, without fault, treat you the way I would like you to treat me.

2) I promise to spoil you.

When you're having a bad day, I'll pick something up that will brighten your mood. I'll take you out to dinner and pay for the whole meal. I'll buy you gifts for no reason and remind you how special you are to me. I will make you feel like you're the only man on this planet, because to me, you are.

3) I promise you will never be alone.

Life is hard, and sometimes we just can't face it alone. I promise I will help you fight your dragons, get you out of pits you might fall in and pick you up when you fall down. I promise to be there when you succeed, to celebrate your high's in life, and always be proud of who you are. I promise that I will not let you live life alone.

4) I promise to love you unconditionally.

It doesn't matter how bad life gets, or what curve ball is thrown your way, my love for you will not waver. If you get sick, I'll be with you. If you get arrested, I'll bail you out. If you lose all your money, I will help you out. If you flunk out of college, I won't leave you. Nothing that changes in your life will change my love for you.

5) I promise to always give you the last french fry.

This is a promise I, personally, made my boyfriend when we first started dating, and I think its an important one. It means more than just the last french fry, it means that I will always think of him before myself. When you get the last piece of something, aren't you just so satisfied?! It's one of the best feelings because there is none left for anyone else, and you don't have to suffer. Yeah, I really want that last french fry, cupcake, or piece of pizza, but I let him have it. Because love is putting somebody before yourself.

I'm not worried about what my boyfriend will give me, I'm worried about what I will give him. Being selfless and loving him means way more to me then what I get out of the relationship. When he brings home flowers, my heart flutters and it makes my entire day, but I start planning something I can do to surprise him in return.

Moral of the story is expect less out of the loved one's in your life, and give them all you've got. You'll be surprised what you'll end up getting in return.