5 Things People With Celiac Disease Are Tired Of Hearing

One slice of pizza wouldn't hurt you that much, right?

106
Ultimate Health

In case you didn't know, Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder that causes damage to the small intestine upon ingestion of gluten. Basically, the body recognizes gluten as a foreign agent and it starts attacking itself. The lining of the intestine is destroyed, making the body unable to absorb nutrients. People with Celiac who continually eat gluten are malnourished.

I was diagnosed with Celiac when I was in sixth grade. Before I stopped eating gluten, I was a very small, malnourished child who was constantly tired and weary. I was never energetic and always felt really sick.

Since I changed to a gluten-free lifestyle, I've become much healthier and can finally lead a normal life. However, most people don't understand Celiac and sometimes make some interesting comments about it. Here are 5 things people with Celiac are tired of hearing.

1. "Actually, I heard that gluten sensitivity isn't real."

Good thing I'm not gluten-sensitive. Good thing it's a real autoimmune disease with no cure.

2. "I'm sure one cookie wouldn't kill you."

No, it wouldn't kill me, but a single crumb will screw up my intestines for six months.

3. "I could never do gluten-free. I'd cave too much."

I do understand that it can be tough, but it's not really a choice. The long term side effects of eating gluten include liver failure, infertility, kidney failure and much more. Not fun.

4. "Do you miss cake and pasta and bread?"

Yes, I do miss these things. But as awareness of Celiac Disease grows, so do the food options! Gluten-free pizza, pasta, cupcakes, crackers, etc. are actually super delicious. Sometimes better than the regular option.

5. "I try to be gluten-free as much as I can. You know, for health reasons."

As much as I love when people make conscious decisions to improve their health, going gluten-free isn't one of the best. You may lose weight because you're choosing salad instead of a piece of cake, but gluten isn't really harmful to people who don't have a reaction to it. It's a protein. When you act like you can't eat gluten, just because, you're taking away the authenticity from people who actually need to abstain from gluten. Just be aware.