5 Things People Criticize Millennials For That Actually Make Us Pretty Great

Constantly telling me my generations sucks isn't only annoying, it's inaccurate

36

It feels like every other article that is shared on Facebook these days is another parent, grandparent or the like venting about their frustrations with "those damn millennials." If only they had anything reminiscent of a work ethic! If only they could hold down jobs! If only they could stay off those phones! It's beginning to sound a little repetitive, and not to mention incorrect. We need to start realizing that the things people "hate" about millennials actually make us pretty awesome:

1. Our work ethic (or lack thereof) leaves something to be desired.

If I had a dollar for every time my work ethic was criticized by the generation above me, I might just have enough money to support myself in the economy they ruined.

Jokes aside, those who hold the idea that today’s young adults are missing a certain something when it comes to work ethic do not realize that that “something” has already been identified: a sense of purpose. The difference between the people of our parents’ generation and those jumping headfirst into the workforce today is simply that the majority of our parents and grandparents were raised on the idea that a career and a passion were two separate things. Passions were risky and unpredictable. Careers were stable, dependable and a guaranteed ticket into a backyard, a dog and a white-picket fence. While nothing is wrong with this classic cut out of the American Dream, the youth of today do not want to waste their precious years at a mind numbing, soul squelching nine to five. Don’t get us wrong; we understand the value of hard work and dedication. That being said, we are cautious to waste our spirits and creativity on something that we do not love and feel fulfilled doing. We do not want predictability. We want purpose. We want to give back. We want to experience all that the world has to offer. We want to relish our lives. Are we so wrong for wanting more?

2. If we could only stay off those damn phones, maybe we could get something done.

OK, Myrtle. I’ll stay off of my phone. Just make sure that the next time you need help differentiating between Google and your Facebook wall, you don’t come crying to Lil’ old me. Now, before you assume that just like every other damn millennial, my damn phone is one step away from being attached to my face, hear me out. Companies and jobs centered around technology have morphed into much more than the dimly lit garage start ups that our parents and grandparents knew in their youth. With social media platforms like Instagram and Snapchat seeping further and further into our daily lives, the businesses that are ahead of the curve are embracing the transition. And, while older generations may have more years of working experience, let’s face it: the vast majority of the generations above us have zero idea what it takes to build a social media following, predict the next trending platforms, or hell, even formulate a tweet that doesn’t sound like something that came out of an egg-photo’d Twitter bot. The fact is, the damn phones that many love to hate are our generation’s shiny keys to the changing world and workforce, and we are clinging to them tightly. The big dogs like Apple and Google have paved the way for the tech revolution and are setting the new standard for companies to come: with things like free meals, free health and dental coverage, and full pay and benefits during time off for new mothers, the talents of tech-savvy minds are being heavily recruited by employers that value not only their passion for innovation, but that value them as human beings as well. Which leads me to my next point...

3. Caring about the Earth and wellbeing of others puts us into the ‘worst’ category of millennial: the Hippie Liberal.

This is one of the most angering and frustrating assumptions. My compassion and concern for the world around me and those who live in it has been called every name in the book: laughable, hippie shit, unrealistic, ‘exactly what is wrong with your generation.’ You name it, I’ve heard it. So have my peers. And we’re sick of it.

In case anyone hasn’t realized; the Earth is it. It is our one and only home. Spew me pipe dreams of living on Mars all you want. It is a proven fact that we as humans have NO OTHER PLACE TO LIVE. While other generations have yet to get fully on board, mine is not taking this fact lightly. Millennials as a whole are more likely to pay for responsibly made products, favor environmentally friendly policies, take an active stance in the global warming crisis, and choose green methods of transportation, such as bikes and hybrid vehicles (sustainablebrands.com). I have been told to my face that because of choices like these, my generation is stupid, gullible, and not concerned about things that really matter. Want to know what the funniest part of all those statements are? They are false. In the words of a wise millennial herself: these things should be a first thought, not an afterthought. Our oceans are poisoned. Ecosystems are dying on a massive scale. Vital rainforests are being destroyed for unnecessary factory farms. And even with that overproduction of food, 49 million Americans are unsure of when they will eat their next meal. Nearly 600,000 people were homeless in America on a given night in 2015. If “hippie” and “liberal” are considered insults by older generations, it may be a good thing they are reaching the age of retirement. Criticizing millennials for their concern for this planet and the people in it isn’t going to change our minds. It is only going to motivate us to work harder to make a change.

4. We never sit down after a long day and turn on the news. How can we stand to be so uninformed!

Au contraire, you ill-informed asshole. Think about our obsession with technology. Wouldn’t it make sense for us to get our information from sources that we are already on? 82% of Millennials get their information from online sources, according to a 2015 study. And before anyone can protest, hear this: just because we may not spend as great a quantity of time absorbing news as our older counterparts does not mean that we do not get the same quality of information. We are experts in the art of efficiency; we know exactly how and where to get the most value out of our media outlets. We are also better at sifting through fake news than those older than us, which is a trait that serves us well and keeps us at the forefront of intellectual conversation. Far too often Millennials are misjudged as uninterested and disengaged in the happenings of the world. Elders wrongly assume that because we do not get our information through traditional sources, we must not be on the same playing field as them in the realms of knowledge and intellectual communication. If I can plead one thing, it is this: do not underestimate us. We are fully capable of intelligent thought, and our young minds are those that are formulating the ideas of the future.

5. Today’s youth are in seek of constant company. Why do they seem to need so many friends?

Networking, networking, networking. While older generations are somewhat aware of the importance of this, long gone are the days of my parents where a college degree guaranteed you a high paying job in any field of your choice. I have been preached at countless times about how I just need to "put myself out there," and that "someone will give me a chance." Although good advice to some extent, it is not merely about submitting and outstanding resume and acing the interview anymore. With MBAs and graduate degrees becoming the new equivalent of a high school diploma, our generation has to face the cold hard truth: it is no longer about what you know, it is about who you know. We might have a better degree than Becky-from-college does, but what if Becky has a similar degree in the same field, and happens to be a sorority sister of the interviewer? Becky also just so happens to have puppy-sat once for the interviewer’s sister’s boyfriend’s cousin, who put in a few good words. What is the outcome of a situation like this? Becky's got a job after graduation, and we are again stuck scrolling through unpaid internships that for some reason require college degrees. Oh the irony.

So, while it may come across that we millennials like to spend our time socializing instead of "actively" pursing a job or career, don't be fooled. For us (especially in this fabulous job market), meeting new people and forming friendships and connections across all kinds of crowds is not just us being social butterflies--it is us being smart and proactive in relationships that might just make or break us in the future.