5 Things You'll Only Get If You're An Only Child

Here are a few of the unique experiences that come with being the youngest and oldest child in your family.

190

Being an only child gives you some rather unique perspectives about life. While some might think it's a lonely and solemn experience, being an only child has it's perks.

1. You talk to yourself, like, a LOT.

media.giphy.com

If you're an only child and have ever been concerned by your ability to carry on deep conversations with yourself, just know that you're not alone. First of all, everyone talks to themselves, and anyone who claims not to is most likely lying. Second, when you grow up without siblings to bounce your ideas off of or to help you make sense of your emotions you're on your own to carve out an understanding of the things.

2. Your parents are a little overprotective

media.giphy.com

One thing you realize as you get older is that if you don't have any brothers or sisters, your parents may have been a just a little overprotective. Without any older children to set the standard for what is and isn't acceptable, your parents may have sheltered you out of fear of giving you too much freedom. While their undivided attention is nice in most situations, it's definitely unwelcome when you want to start dating.

3. You're not fond of sharing.

media.giphy.com

When you've grown up without ever competing for attention, space, or the last cookie, learning how to share comes as sort of rude awakening. While you recognize that there are times when offering a small portion of what you have is courteous and that you have to share to be a functioning member of society, you also revel in the fact that when you go home you have everything to yourself.

4. You don't mind being alone

media.giphy.com

Another aspect of growing up as an only child is learning how to play alone when you're little and being comfortable in your solitude later on in life. While parents are grateful for this trait when their children are young, as you get older you'll come to value it more as well. Going to new places and events by yourself doesn't intimidate you the way it does to some people for the simple fact that you're used to. While it is nice to bring friends with you on adventures, there certain things best experienced alone.

5. Getting ALL the presents for Christmas

media.giphy.com

Arguably the best part of life as an only child is Christmas. When you're the only one your parent have to spend money on - excuse me, the only child in your family that Santa has to bring presents to- you rack up.