5 Things I Never Thought I Would Miss About College

Who would have thought?

36

1.Waking up to 10 different alarms my roommate set, but never woke up for.

At the time I would roll over in annoyance, when my roommate’s alarm rang at 7:15, 7:20, 7:30, 7:35 and believe it or not AGAIN at 7:45 for her 8am math lecture. Not only was her ringer set to the most obnoxious sound I have ever heard (also on the highest volume thanks girl!!!), but it also woke me up 2 hours before I needed to start getting ready. I miss knowing I will wake up to my roommate’s alarm, because that meant that my best friend was only 2 feet away from me rather than hundreds of miles away.

2.Eating at the dining hall

I never thought I would miss the questionable looking meat served and basically only having a diet consisting of bagels, but I miss the atmosphere of it. The dining hall was the place we used to procrastinate homework, try to figure out what was edible, make awkward eye contact with that frat boy from last week, hoard bananas for our breakfasts--yet never got around to eating, and laughing the night away with my best friends. Being able to have dinners every night with the people you love most is one of the best things about college. And who doesn’t love to end the night with a dining hall cookie?

3.Doing Laundry

Ask anyone, I hate doing laundry with a burning passion. I always manage to shrink my leggings to a size that would fit an infant, and could never get that red stain out of my favorite white shirt. But laundry was one of the biggest bonding experiences and basically a comedy show. Sorting my laundry and finding a shirt that I thought I lost was probably one of the most exhilarating feelings ever. Sitting in the lounge with your friends waiting for your laundry was just another excuse to hang out and avoid all responsibilities. I miss sitting on the ground with my friends attempting to figure out why washer #35 wasn’t working, and laughing when we realized they never hit start. It was always a comedy show down there in the basement, but it never failed to be entertaining.

4.The Study Lounge

This one is pretty obvious. Who would have ever thought I would miss the place that caused me so much stress?? Not me. Yet I miss it so much. The study room was the place I could commiserate with all my friends about how I was an idiot for not starting my paper earlier, or how even though this is my 40th attempt at a math problem, I still somehow couldn’t figure it out. But everyone could relate to each other, and we struggled together. I can honestly say some of my best memories weren’t made late at night at a random frat, but at 2am in the study lounge. When I finally finished making 200 flashcards for my exam, or when my friends order of pizza came and we all just pigged out. I miss it.

5.Sharing a floor with 100+ people

I don’t miss the drunk boys screaming at 3am, the night before my exam. And I definitely don’t miss the nightmare that is communal bathrooms. But I miss being only a few doors down from my best friends. I barged into their room to complain after a long day of classes, or to just stop in and say hi before I had to go to a meeting. I spent as much time in their room as I did in my own. I always knew I had to place to go when I was bored, upset, happy and everything in between. So I would take those screaming boys at 3am back, if it meant I would also be next to my best friends.