5 Things I Never Expected to Happen in College

College is probably not the experience you had planned.

34
Nerdist.com

College is one of those life experiences that you imagine for a long time. You have so many plans and visions for your future. Then you arrive and plans change. You realize that college is a struggle and not at all like you had planned. Whether it is your social life, academics, or extracurricular activities, there is always a surprise around every corner. That surprise can be good or bad. I like to think that everything happens for a reason. So all the unexpected turns that my college experience took lead me to who I am now and who I am becoming. Because I am graduating in the spring, I have been reflecting on my whole collegiate experience. Here are five things I never expected to happen in college.

1. Change Majors

They always mention at college information sessions how a percentage of students will change their majors. But I was different. I knew what I wanted to do and even had a plan B. It was biomedical engineering or a biology major. HAHA! I ended up changing majors and although it wasn’t a swift process, I do not regret it. Changing majors is quite normal for many college students. If you don't like your major, find the one that motivates you and makes you excited. You will be happier overall and enjoy your college experience.

2. Pursuing My Major

When trying to choose a major, I told myself I would never go into engineering. It was the career that many smart students go into and I wasn’t going to be that student. Low and behold, what was my first major? ENGINEERING. My second major has a similar story that began my freshman year. During freshman orientation, students kept introducing themselves as exercise science majors. My first thought was, “That’s stupid.” I have to admit that I had no idea what it was. When I switched to a pre-PT major, guess what my specific undergraduate major became? EXERCISE SCIENCE. One of the greatest joys I have found in life is that you have a plan and God has a plan. God's plan for my major was greater than my own.

3. Strengthening My Relationship with God

I knew I wanted to be involved in Campus Ministry. Growing up, I never had chances to get involved for various reasons. Getting involved with the Newman group on campus my freshman year of college is the single most impactful choice I have ever made. Not only did I rediscover Catholicism, but also strengthened my relationship with God. Upon transferring schools, I told someone how I became closer to God when I came to college. She and I both found it interesting that I found Him where many students lose Him. It was one step closer to becoming the best version of myself and I am forever grateful for that!

4. Transferring Schools

It was a stretch to change majors, but transferring schools was not on my radar. When my mother even mentioned the word transfer for the first time, I freaked out. I couldn’t imagine leaving my school and friends when I just started feeling like I belonged. Part of me enjoyed the fact that I would have a fresh start, while the other part didn’t want to leave my friends. In the end, I realized how much I valued my education and my time. I was blessed to transfer to a university in which faculty and staff were invested in my future. They saw my potential and I appreciated that.

5. Receiving a “D” in a Class

I don’t think anyone is satisfied with a D. It is below average and most students would at least want to be average. To give you background, I will start by saying I was a smarty pants in high school. I fought for a spot in the top 10 of 625 students like I was in The Hunger Games. People knew that I was smart and getting A's and B's is what I did. Somehow though your mentality has to change if you are in a major where “C's get degrees.” Well, I got a C and a D in the same semester. If you have ever taken circuits or have heard me talk about circuits, you would understand. I struggled despite all the help, tutoring, office hours, and classmate discussions I had. I am so grateful for failing because I realized my talents and passions were in a different area. I had yet again taken a step toward being the best version of myself. It is okay to get a bad grade. You will survive. You will get through it. It’s only a letter. It does not define you.