5 Things I Learned Going To An Out-Of-State School

Yes, everyone’s experience with college varies, but I’m glad I took a risk and left my comfort zone.

148
Flickr

Now that I’m attending school in Texas, I often get shocked looks when I tell people I’m from California. Yes, it is a big change, and I still sometimes wonder how I ended up here. I’m glad I did, however, because I’ve learned so much from leaving California.

1. I appreciate home more than ever

Spending a majority of my life in a town where the most fun thing a kid could do is go to Safeway, I really hated it. But now, I would kill to bring back the Safeway, Target, and 3 Costco’s in one area. Going to a new town has taught me to miss the little things whether it’s my favorite restaurant, the beaches, the weather, or just being able to see my family and friends in general.

2. I’m experiencing a new culture

There is no place like home, there is no place like California. Everything is different outside my little bubble from the politics, the food, and the weather. There are so many culture shocks I experienced from moving to the South, but I am slowly getting accustomed to everything Texas has to offer.

3. I’m exploring

There’s never nothing to do on a weekend because there is so much I have yet to do. Each city and state has its own little hidden treasures and my friends and I, all being out of state, are having fun finding them. Going out of state is like going on a mini-vacation where you experience new things with new people which you could never do if you stayed back.

4. I grew up

Yes, everyone grows up in college. However, I can’t just go back home whenever I want or have my parents drop by. I have to make decisions, trusting that I am making the right ones. It’s all up to me to take care of myself and survive.

5. I stand out, but so does everyone else

There is a lot unique about me here and it can be a good thing. I have so much to talk about, especially with people who also from a different place. People are caught by surprise when they learn I’m from California and ended up in Waco, Texas. However, it’s a great conversation starter and it is so amazing to meet new people with new perspectives.

Yes, everyone’s experience with college varies, but I’m glad I took a risk and left California, at least for now. I would recommend to everyone to take this risk because you really do not know how much there is to explore in this world.