5 Things Every High School Freshman Needs To Know

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
188

It’s been quite some time since I was a freshman in high school, and there are a few things I wish people told me. Well, let me correct myself, a lot of these things I was told, but I never actually took them seriously.

You are going to hear a million times to treasure each moment because before you know it you are going to be looking around and wondering where all the time went.

1. Don’t stress the little things

The big problems you are facing now will seem so tiny in a few years. I remember failing a test and crying about it for hours, fights with my friends felt like the end of the world and when boys didn’t notice me I felt like I wasn’t good enough. Looking back at all those times, I realize that things may seem huge in the moment but as my mom always said, “this too shall pass.”

2. Try in school

Wow! I wish I tried as hard as I did in high school as I do now. Go to extra help or office hours and get to know your teachers. These are things I definitely miss and try to do in college. Enjoy being in a 30-person class instead of 300. Take advantage of what you can to learn now.

Trust me, it will make your future that much easier. You will use that information that seems irrelevant to your life.

3. Focus on friends

High school relationships aren’t guaranteed to last forever, and cliques don’t always stay together but good friendships often do. I don’t know what I would do without my high school friends. I talk to them each and every day, and they get me through things I could never get through on my own.

4. Get involved

The clubs, groups, and organizations I got involved in became another support system for me. I found what I liked and disliked and met some amazing people along the way.

Around junior year, I found a few things I was really passionate about. It took many, many, many tries for me to find them! Go and try new things until you find one you love!

5. SERIOUSLY, treasure every moment

These are the times you are going to tell your kids about, memories that stay with you forever. I know four years seems like a lot, but I promise the time just flies by. Just ask the seniors at your school. I’m sure they will tell you the same thing. High school is something pretty special.

You start off young and nervous and all of a sudden you grow up, and you’re off. Take advantage of these years. I’m not saying it’ll be easy. I’m saying it’ll be worth it.