10 Things Every Odyssey Editor In Chief Has Experienced

117

Being the Editor in Chief for Odyssey is a rewarding job, however, it's definitely something that affects the way you experience your day-to-day.

From the editing to the managing, being an Odyssey EIC comes with a lot of responsibility. But that responsibility exists in tandem with a bunch of overwhelming benefits.

If you're anything like me, then you'll relate to the following;

1. You find yourself randomly talking about Odyssey without even realizing it.

It is the sad truth, but recruiting new writers has become second nature. Your friends start to get angry because all you try to do is recruit them for writing...I mean, you never can have too many articles.

2. You use an unacceptable amount of exclamation points.

It has come to the point where you will not send out a message without using at least, one exclamation point. If you're enthusiastic, then your writers are enthusiastic!!!!!!

3. Whenever something big happens in the news, you get way too excited about telling your writers in the hope that someone will write about it.

You also inevitably start to give away all of your ideas to your writers and then are left with nothing to write about...but somehow, you always manage to think of something.

4. You wait anxiously to see who is going to submit an article every week.

But then you also dread sending those annoying texts asking where their articles are.

5. You get way too excited when you hit the minimum number of articles or when you beat your article count from the week before.

Once you hit that minimum number of articles, it is like a breath of fresh air, and beating the amount of articles from last week...I can't even contain my emotions.

6. You feel like your writers' mom.

You are so proud of your writers and all of their hard work it makes you want to cry. I feel like a mom because I am so proud of them!

7. You somehow have friends at almost every college campus

With Odyssey growing exponentially, there are new Editor In Chiefs almost every day. Each EIC has each other's back and we all want each other's communities to grow. We always know we can count on one other for giving feedback, helping out with recruiting strategies, or writing ideas. I, for sure, know that if I were ever at their school, I could have hung out with them in a heartbeat.

8. You have learned so much about yourself

Not only have I learned to become a better writer, but I have also learned more leadership skills than I ever could have imagined. Before becoming the EIC for Odyssey, leadership was not necessarily "my thing"; however, Odyssey has given me an outlet to explore my leadership skills. I have learned that I am more of a leader than I ever thought I was

9. At times, you dread having to edit so many articles, but you end up loving every minute of it

Although you're not always in the mood for receiving those emails saying "an article is ready to be edited," you really do love it. Even though you may have a handful of other academic assignments, you learn more and more about who your writers are each and every week.

10. You now have so many more friends on your college campus!

Odyssey really cultivates a community on campus. I now find myself saying hello to people around campus that I would have never met without Odyssey. It's Odyssey that I can thank for allowing me to expand my horizons and make so many new friends!