5 Simple Health Habits To Start

5 Simple Health Habits To Start

Treating Your Body Like Your Temple

34
5 Simple Health Habits To Start

In the recent weeks, I have really tried to focus more on my mental and physical health by putting a variety of healthy habits into practice. The connection between the mind and body is an amazing thing and it is so important to treat your temple well in order to build a home for you to thrive in and be your best self. Here are five healthy habits to start in whatever season you are in:

1. Drinking Enough Water

Did you know that up to 60% of the adult human body is made of water? With frequent headaches and fatigue, I narrowed my problem down to dehydration.

I created a "Water Log," or a daily tracker of how much water I was drinking. My goal was to drink the recommended daily amount of water. All you have to do is take your weight, cut it in half, and divide by 16. This will give you how many 16 oz bottles of water you need to drink a day. After testing this for a week, the results were amazing. I had zero headaches, less stress, and a whole lot of energy!

2. Cutting Back on Sugar

Not all sugar is bad, but the sugars found in highly refined, processed foods can really take a toll on the mind and body. Sugar can easily become an addiction, activating the reward center in your brain. Sugar is definitely not good for individuals struggling with anxiety, and it can potentially lead to problems with skin health and other organs. Try cutting back on sugary and processed foods by slowly eliminating them from your diet. Substitute added sugars with healthier alternatives, like honey and coconut sugar. Foods like fruit, berries, chia seeds, and dark chocolate can all help curve intense sugar cravings.

3. Exercising Daily

Whether it be yoga, running, walking, dancing, or swimming, move with a method that motivates you! If you don't like to run, don't run. Find another form of cardio that you truly enjoy and can persevere through to the end. When you exercise, you not only pump oxygen to the brain, but improve your mood, energy levels, and overall health.

4. Fulfilling What Your Body Lacks

A few weeks ago, I noticed I was struggling with anxiety a little more and I suffered from more tiredness and head tension. After some research, it turned out that I was lacking magnesium. I started eating foods with higher magnesium levels and things began to get better. It is really important to evaluate your body and to be aware of how you are feeling and what is going on. Your body has a voice, and it will tell you when levels are off. Also, make sure to consider all factors that might be contributing to how you feel.

5. Blocking Blue Light

Let's talk about screens...

If you find yourself on the computer or on your phone a lot during the day, especially if it is due to work or school, you may want to invest in blue light blocking glasses. You can find them on Amazon and they are truly life changing if you suffer from headaches, light sensitivity, and eye strain. Blue light also suppresses the release of melatonin in the brain. Make an effort to limit screen time before bed, or wear blue light blocking glasses if you have them. By limiting this exposure, you will find it easier to fall asleep and get good rest for the next day.

Making and breaking habits are up to you to do. Start taking steps to take care of your temple so you can feel and be your best self!

- M