5 Senses Of You

5 Senses Of You

A poem that I wrote when I lost someone special to me and the meaning behind it.

4
TheOdysseyOnline

Losing a loved one feels more like you have lost a part of yourself. It is hard to comprehend the person you have lost and that this person is no longer going to be in your life. No matter how hard you try or how much you pray, the pain never seems to go away, it just gets better with time. I had to accept that my loved ones that have gone to a better place will no longer be with me. It was a difficult pill to swallow, but I needed to learn to move forward with my life.

Through poetry, writing, and rekindling my relationship with God, I was able to move forward. It was not easy and I struggled for a long time. I do not think it will ever get easier as time moves forward, but the pain can get less severe over time.

I do not share my poetry with anyone so this is a huge leap of faith for me to share it with the world. I wrote 5 Senses of You to be a guide for me to read whenever I am thinking of my loved one. Here is my original poem 5 Senses of You:

The taste remains forever in my memory

From here on out-

Through all the good and the bad,

A constant reminder, a forethought.

You and I are whole

Intertwined into one.

The touch you left behind has faded

From here on out-

I am alone and solo,

In constant need, of you.

You and I are whole

Intertwined into one.

Your scent leaves a lasting impression throughout

From here on out-

Your scent is starting to fade,

You are gone, I’m here.

You and I are whole

Intertwined into one.

I hear the last statement you said

From here on out-

As if you had never left,

An endless cycle, of memories.

You and I are whole

Intertwined into one.

I see your face as a ghost

From here on out-

I saw you at your funeral,

Each time different, the past.

You and I are whole

Intertwined into one.

Poetry is not my strongest form of writing. I am not confident with my poetic abilities , but it helps me to loosen up and explore my writing process. I wrote this poem as a constant reminder of those loved ones I have lost in my life.

5 Senses of You is my way of saying that my loved ones will always be there with me spiritually. The memories that are engraved in my mind forever will continue to come up through random parts of my life. The five senses that human beings experience are beautiful since they can recall memories that happened various days or years ago as if they happened yesterday.

I remember the little details of my loved ones that made a significant impact on my life. I try to hold on to those memories. Anniversaries of deaths and birthdays bring back the hard fact that my loved ones are no longer here with me. I try to hold on to those memories that brought a smile to my face. 5 Senses of You is my way of bringing back the memories of the good and the bad with those loved ones I have lost throughout my lifetime.