5 Sci-Fi Novels That Will Feature On-Screen In 2018 And Bring All The Bookworms To The Yard

2018 is a new year full of new movies. Learn about five science fiction movies that you have got to check out this year!

347
Kotaku

When you're a teenager, you're always looking for new sources of entertainment. With the new year, there's a whole new selection of movies that are coming out! These five movies are all based on books, so chances are, you have heard of them or even read their novels. If you haven't read any, I recommend going out and reading them before the movies come out! Here is my list of the best science fiction movies releasing this year.

1. "Maze Runner: The Death Cure"

Releasing: Jan. 26

Here's a novel and future movie that most people have heard about. It is the last book in the series ("The Kill Order" and "Fever Code" are prequel companions). The next "Maze Runner" movie is based on James Dashner's "Death Cure"novel. The "Death Cure" follows the protagonist Thomas and his companions as they learn more about the Flare, a deadly disease that has left most of the world in ruins. As this is the last book in the series in narrative order, it is the most climactic and will leave you leaning on the edge of your seat to find out what happens next!

2. "A Wrinkle in Time"

Releasing: March 9

This movie is a bit more on the childish side, rated PG. It is a movie the entire family can watch. The plot and storyline absolutely captivated me from the beginning, and I'm sure many of you will be as captivated, too! Based on the novel by Madeleine L'Engle, "A Wrinkle In Time" follows the story of Meg Murry as she tries to pinpoint the location of her father who has mysteriously disappeared. She discovers that she can travel through the universe through "tesseracts," and she embarks on a remarkable journey to save her father and uncover truths about the mysterious forces within the universe.

3."Annihilation"

Releasing: Feb. 23

When I asked about the upcoming film, I found that most of my friends already knew about the popular novel, which has got to say something about the number of viewers they will get when the movie comes out. In this Jeff VanderMeer novel, four women are on the 12th expedition into a region known as “Area X.” One of the characters' husband was part of the 11th expedition and returned unexpectedly with injures and no memory of his return. The 12th expedition sets out to try to discover the cause of his disorientation, and they encounter many challenges along the way.

4. "Mortal Engines"

Releasing: Dec. 14

When I first read the storyline summary for "Mortal Engines," I knew that it was something that would make the charts for the top movies this year. Fans will have to wait a long time, though, since this movie is releasing at the very end of 2018! Written by Philip Reeve, this is another post-apocalyptic novel set thousands of years into the future, where cities are now giant machines that swallow up smaller towns. It is set in London, where Tom Natsworthy, a low-class citizen, must fight to survive in his dangerous and unpredictable world.

5. "Ready Player One"

Releasing: March 30

And now, my most recommended movie and novel, "Ready Player One." The world created around the story is insane, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in post-apocalyptic stories or video games. Ernest Cline's novel takes us into a post-apocalyptic world set 40 years into the future, where humans spend most of their time in a virtual reality system called the OASIS. Wade Watts lives in a poor area called the Stacks, but he also spends most of his time on the OASIS. The creator of the system places a challenge to the world to solve puzzles and acquire keys within the game to reach a colossal “Easter Egg” that, if placed in the wrong hands, could cause worldwide chaos.