5 Reasons Why Professor Friendships Are The Best

Wisdom of the elder along with your youthful perspective will inspire both of you.

57
Emaze

In college, we’re surrounded by many people of many backgrounds and cultures. It’s quite easy to make a friend, whether it be at a social event, at the dining hall or in the classroom setting. And then there are the professors. Some can be the most dreadful human beings to walk the earth (gladly, I haven’t encountered one like that yet). On the other hand, most professors are the epitome of pure joy, and when you find those kinds, be grateful!

So, why not befriend your professor? They are human just like we are, aren’t they? Throughout the years of my educational career, I’ve always made the effort to get to know my teachers, and in many occasions, befriend them. Here are some reasons why I did and still do:

1. Everyone else is too chicken to talk to the professor, but that doesn’t mean you have to be.

I never understood the concept of not being yourself around an elder. College is basically like a job. Our professors are like our bosses. Of course, we must be respectful; that’s a given. That doesn’t mean that being ourselves around them suddenly drops us a few ranks on the student totem pole. In fact, it should raise our chances of being viewed as mature and wanting to engage in conversation like an adult.

2. They are human, too, which means they love to talk and get to know the people they see every day.

Would you ignore or refuse to speak with your suitemates or roommates even though you interact with them on a daily basis? Of course not! How is your professor any different?

3. Advice, advice, advice!

Anytime someone is older than you, chances are they’ve been around the block. Most of us are in our early 20’s, which means we have so much more to learn about ourselves and the world in general. Whether it be about relationship advice, family matters, troubles with a friend, academic guidance or everyday life, I 100 percent guarantee your professor would be more than happy to share some of their handy-dandy wisdom.

4. Connections.

Society now is a lot different than even a few decades ago. And sometimes our skills alone can be overlooked because we don’t have that strong support needed for a “connection.” When you befriend a professor, you not only expand your friend-family, but you exchange knowledge of the other’s character. That person will have a better understanding of your values, how you treat people and your aspirations. These same people will have a well-rounded description of you at-hand when it comes to asking them to write you a recommendation letter. They want to see you succeed in life, and if writing a letter in your behalf means they have helped you in some way, they will do that for you.

5. You both “adopt” each other.

With any friendship, the core is mutual respect. The professors I regard as friends, I have the utmost respect for. They don't have to make time for me when I visit them at their office to complain about something or to show them a piece of artwork I'm really proud of. They don't have to do anything at all. That's why I am beyond grateful that they choose to make time for me; they want to listen to me, as I do for them. I lost my dad last year and when I need a fatherly-figure to talk to on campus, my male professor friends are there. Or if I need advice from another female, particularly one with more experience than myself, I go to my female professor friends, who act like older sisters. On a similar token, I'm viewed by other professors as the grandchild they've never had, or sharing the same love for me as they do for their own children. I can't even describe the joy it brings to my heart when I am told these things. Although we can't choose our family, we can surely choose our friends. What better feeling is there than friendship?

One more important note I would like to share is this: there will be other students out there who won't understand these friendships. Whether that stems from immaturity, jealousy or other elementary associations, don't let them sway you. It takes a confident, mature individual to befriend an elder. Not everyone is at the same level you are, so it may take a student longer to learn to approach a professor and feel comfortable enough to be themselves. And that's okay.

I can write countless more articles on the kindness I have been shown throughout the years by my teachers. It nearly brings me to tears just how much of a positive influence people can have on our lives. Without educators, we won't be where we are today. They helped shape us and are such a vital piece of our history that they will live on in our spirit for the rest of time. Although we'll all move on to go live out our dreams, don't forget to keep in touch with those from your school days. Our professors watched us grow within those 4+ years. Continue to share with them your failures, your successes and, most importantly, your friendship.