5 Reasons Why It's Okay To Be Single On Valentine's Day

If you're single on Valentine's Day, don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

60
DesignBolts.com

We all know Valentine's Day is all about love and romance and hearts and flowers. It can also be one of the loneliest holidays ever created. Sure, it doesn't feel great to be alone on Thanksgiving or Christmas or even New Years' Eve, but Valentine's Day was created with couples and love in mind. So being alone can suck if you let it. But it is okay to be alone on Valentine's Day and here's why.

1. You don't want to settle for anyone just so you won't be alone.

Take it from someone who has been there, you do not want to settle for someone that you don't really want to be with just so you won't feel lonely. Sometimes it can actually make you feel lonelier.

2. You don't have to pretend to like the gifts.

We have all received that really bad, corny, cheesy Valentine's Day present at least once, and we have all pretended to like it so we don't hurt the other person's feelings. Look at this Valentine's Day as an opportunity to buy yourself a gift that you truly want.

3. Romantic dates aren't all they are made out to be.

It is a lot of work to get ready for a "romantic" date. If you're a female, you need to shower, shave, do your hair and makeup and spend forever picking out the right outfit. That whole process can easily take three hours. If you're a male, you need to make the reservation, pick up flower/chocolate/something nice and sweet. Honestly, Valentine's Day can break your bank account. It's okay to just sit at home with Netflix and order some Domino's.

4. You're not the only one who is alone this Valentine's Day.

Millions of other people are single and alone on Valentine's Day. Meet up with a few of them and go get dinner or go to a movie. Just because you aren't with anyone special, it doesn't mean that you have to sit at home and be miserable.

5. Valentine's Day is not a real holiday.

In the words of my high school history teacher, "Valentine's Day is just a holiday made up by the Hallmark family and now they are sitting back laughing and rolling around in all the money they make from it!" Honestly, there is no need to have one day of the year to show your significant other how much they mean to you. If you're single, just sit back and laugh at all the people as they try extra hard one day a year and be thankful that it isn't you.

Most days are what you make of them. You don't need to be lonely and miserable on Valentine's Day. Get out there and make the most of it!