5 Reasons why intermittent fasting is effective for weight loss

Weight loss is the number one reason why most of us start dieting. With so much information available on diets, it's difficult to choose the right one. In your search, you've probably bumped into intermittent fasting.

17

Whether you saw it online or heard it from a friend, you must be aware that it's the latest wellness diet. On top of that, it has amazing benefits for your body and well-being such as longevity, better brain function, and improved heart health.

When it comes to weight loss, intermittent fasting promises sustainable results. Plus, it's easy to implement while giving you the option of eating what you please. This brings us to an important question.

Why should you choose intermittent fasting for weight loss?

1.Intermittent fasting boosts metabolism

Fasting helps your body burn fat instead of glucose to produce energy. If you fast for a long time, your body may adapt and reduce metabolism to save on energy. On the other hand, fasting for short periods actually increases metabolism. The cycle of eating then fasting keeps your metabolism up. Studies have shown an increase of 14% in metabolism with intermittent fasting. As your metabolism stays up, you burn more calories which can result in weight loss.

2.It reduces inflammation

By reducing inflammation, intermittent fasting helps keep your gut healthy. This results in better digestion and efficient weight loss. Some symptoms of an inflamed gut include bloating, tiredness, irregular periods, and acne. Fasting gives your gut a rest. This keeps it in top shape.

3.It lowers insulin levels

When you're constantly eating or snacking, your insulin levels stay up and you burn glucose for energy. If you fast for at least 10 hours, your insulin levels reduce. Lower insulin levels signal your body to start burning fat as it has run out of glucose.

4.Intermittent fasting improves insulin sensitivity

As we've established, insulin levels increase when you eat. These levels signal the cells to receive glucose for energy. If your cells don't respond to this signal, glucose stays in your bloodstream. This glucose eventually gets stored as fat. This lack of response to insulin levels is called insulin resistance. It results in weight gain and diabetes. Fasting helps to restore insulin sensitivity. This leads to the absorption of glucose by the cells.

5.Intermittent fasting triggers ketosis

Fasting is the easiest way for your body to enter a ketosis state. Other methods involve lots of restrictions especially when it comes to carbs. With intermittent fasting, your body starts burning fat in a matter of hours.

How long should you do intermittent fasting for weight loss

You should expect to see results in about 10 weeks. This will vary from person to person. It will depend on the plan you choose and your current health condition. Some people have reported significant results in 3 weeks. Keep in mind that any weight lost within the first week is probably water weight. You should stick with intermittent fasting for several weeks.

With that said, don't be tempted to starve yourself. Starving is denying your body its essential nutrients for a significant period of time. This will be counterproductive. When you starve, your body will slow down its metabolism and hold on to calories. With extreme starvation, your cells will die. On the other hand, intermittent fasting will keep your metabolism up. Remember, with intermittent fasting, you're still getting essential nutrients. All you limit is the eating window.

The takeaway

If you're on a weight loss journey, you should give intermittent fasting a try. Medical experts and nutritionists agree that it's a healthy and safe way to burn fat. Check in with your doctor before you start. Apart from weight loss, you'll get a healthier heart, boost mental focus, and build your immune system.