To Dorm Or Not To Dorm

To Dorm Or Not To Dorm

We Know You've Thought About It... Here's What We Think About It!

33
To Dorm Or Not To Dorm

To live on campus, or not to live on campus…? That is the question. To dorm. That is the answer. At one time or another, every college student finds themselves wondering whether they made the right decision by dorming or commuting. No matter where you go, I promise you will have an entirely different college experience if you dorm rather than commute. As a resident, I can honestly say that dorming on campus has changed me in more ways than one. College is an experience that you won’t soon forget, and many of your memories will come from those crazy college dorms. Here are a few reasons why we recommend living on campus.

1. Living on campus gives you the opportunity to meet more diverse people.

No matter how similar or different these people are, they are new to you, and that’s what matters. They will help expose you to a wider range of ideas and cultures, assist you in developing stronger interpersonal skills, and give you the opportunity to live with people of common interest, including your major. However, making new friends does more than culture you. Making new friends will broaden your horizons. Whether it be for fun Friday nights, or for professional networking, these people may be good to have around somewhere down the line. In meeting these people, you will gain better socialization skills, keep you cultured, and more importantly, become the friends that you can’t imagine your life without.

2. Students who reside on campus are more likely to achieve academic success through remaining in school at a higher rate.

They tend to graduate and enter graduate school. Studies also show that students who dorm tend to finish college in less time. Residents have proven to have higher overall grade point averages than commuters and higher academic incomes.

3. Residing on campus is the first step to gaining your independence.

College can be scary with all that responsibility, but we know you can do it! First of all, you will learn quickly that you don’t own as much clothing as you think you do. You’ve got to do your own laundry (because what you own will only last about three weeks, at most!). Second of all, you need to feed yourself. Your mom isn’t gonna be there anymore to chef it up for you. Now we know this sounds hard, but lucky for you, you can just run down to the dining hall where there will be pre-made food for you to chow down. Finally, it is your responsibility to make sure that you wake up and get to class on time. Remember- you’re paying to be here, so you better make sure you get the most out of what you’re paying for. Though these things might sound daunting, they are possible, and they are going to help mold you into the strong adult that we know you can be!

4. The residence halls really aren’t that bad.

Living on campus means that you get to drive less, and sleep more. These shorter commutes offer extra time for things like taking advantage of activities and services. All residence halls have nightly study hours, and the residential assistants organize programs that enhance and develop skills necessary for academic success. There are security guards on duty to keep residents safe throughout the night, and it’s just super convenient to have anything you might need right there on campus. And who knows, maybe you and your roomie will even become BFFs!

5. Studies show that college residents have a better overall university experience.

College is a once in a lifetime experience and you need to make the most of it. Living on campus will get you more involved with clubs and organizations, it will help you with time management (by allowing you to take naps between classes and be refreshed and ready to work!), and it will give you more school pride! Residents will soon find that living on a college campus is more than just moving out of your parents’ house. It’s about being a part of something bigger. It’s about the support. It’s a community of opportunity. It’s your home away from home.