5 Reasons 'Riverdale' Is The Most Cringeworthy Show On TV

How has society allowed it to go on this long?

79

I used to watch this show for kicks, as it was amusing to laugh at and make light fun of. And then, the writers went off the deep end and decided quality meant absolutely nothing to them (although, let's be real, it never did). Things just got even more ridiculous and absurd with every episode until you were left curling up in a corner and wondering how you'd watched the show for as long as you did. I seriously can't think of a show that embodies the word 'cringe' more than this one. I'm convinced the writers are on drugs.

"In case you haven't noticed, I'm weird. I'm a weirdo."

Youtube.com: incase you haven't noticed, i'm weird. im a weirdo.

Though early on in the show, we should have seen this excruciatingly uncomfortable moment as a huge red flag. I'm sorry, but Cole Sprouse cannot act and I'm not sure why everyone pretends like he can. Also, why was he casted as Jughead, (also that name...why?) the badass kid who pulls out knives and cuts people? LOL, I'm not buying it. But, in fairness to him, no actor could deliver these lines without them sounding completely ridiculous.

The Jailhouse Rock performance

Youtube.com: Riverdale Season 3 Episode 2 | Jail house rock - The Football game in jail

First of all, who thought it was a good idea for Archie to go to jail for murder? I'm starting to suspect that the writers of the show have a weird fetish for watching him get beaten up. But even putting all that aside, this is completely ridiculous and just an excuse for another extremely unwanted musical performance on the show, which I'm certain nobody actually enjoys. They perform jailhouse rock...outside of a jail...in cheerleader uniforms...what? I'm truly just shaking my head at this point.

That one time Alice and Polly threw babies into the fire

Youtube.com: RIVERDALE - 3x01 || ALICE & POLLY SACRIFICE BABIES || HD

If I'm being honest, I didn't even watch this episode. But frankly, I don't need to. I'm just trying to imagine the writers sitting around a table and one going, "hey what if the mother and grandmother sacrifice the babies in a fire?" I think these kids should start getting therapy early on in life to prepare themselves for the humiliation of being a part of this show, especially because their names are Juniper and Dagwood...WTF?

Betty as the Gargoyle Queen

Youtube.com: Riverdale Season 3 Episode 8|Betty the Gargoyle Queen (Escaping from the Sisters)

If you can't admit that this is the dumbest thing you've ever seen, you're definitely lying. Even the way Ethel announces her is so ridiculous, (also, why do they call her 'Ethelhead' and why is that allowed?) and that costume is truly laughable. I'm truly mind blown that this scene even exists on television.

Veronica Lodge in every scene

Do I blame poor Camila Mendes who likely shuts herself in her dressing room and cries from humiliation after each scene? No. I blame the writers who feel the needs to make her say 'kinz' after every word. 'Archiekinz,' and 'daddykinz' are definitely the worst offenders. She also refers to her and Archie as 'endgame,' and everything she says sounds like it came straight from the mind of a little girl who's read too many issues of 'Tigerbeat Magazine.' I mean, these characters actually use their 'ship names' in the show like 'Vughead,' a mashup of Veronica and Jughead. Oh, dear Lord.