5 Reasons Princess Leia Was So Important

"Will Somebody Get This Big Walking Carpet Out Of 'My Way?"

466
slashfilm.com

Princess Leia was not your typical princess. Princesses seem to always have the stereotypes of how they look, how they act, and who they are supposed to be. Princess Leia gave the opposite of every stereotype given to a princess.

She Did Not Look Like A Typical Princess

Princess Leia did not have the typical look of a princess. Her usual dressing was nothing of the stereotypical princess. She did not have a poofy, sparkly dress, she did not wear high heels or glass slippers, and she hardly wore any makeup. Her hair was not down and flowing across her shoulders while a tiara sits properly on her head. Leia had her hair in two buns on either side of her head and when she did not have this, she had some sort of long braided hairstyle. Her dress was a white, robe type of dress. It was very conservative and had a high neck with long sleeves. She did not look like the princesses you usually see.

She Did Not Always Act Like A Princess

Princess Leia was not the princess that sat waiting to be rescued, or waited and just took orders on who she was supposed to be. She made change happen instead of waiting for someone to change things for her. Leia was, in all ways, a badass princess. She was never underestimated by her male friends on her abilities to do just as much as they could. She was fierce. She was a fighter. She stood up for herself and took leadership over anything she thought necessary. She would get down to business when needed and always fought a hard fight. You never saw Leia scared. She jumped at any challenges given her and was fearless, fierce leader. The way she spoke was also not that of typical. She had a fiery attitude and always shot back when shots were given to her. She definitely did not have the mouth of a princess, but that of any other person. She was not afraid to speak her mind and give attitude when she wanted. She spoke back to those who wouldn't have expected it but she never regretted a word she said because she was confident in herself.

The Movies Were Never All About Her

The Star Wars movies did not have the plot line of a princess and the endeavors she faced. The movies are not focused just on Leia and about the damsel in distress princess. Leia is, of course, a main and crucial character, but the stories do not just follow her. She is just as equal to Han, Luke, Darth Vader and all the others. The focus is not all on her.

She Barely Went By "Princess" Much

Princess Leia was, by all means, a princess. However, you rarely hear her go by "Princess" Leia, but mostly just by "Leia". The views that are supposed to be given through the movie are that of making you believe she is not just a princess, but so much more than that. She has so many more sides to her than being just a princess.

She Did Not Have The Typical Love Story

Leia and Han are one of the most iconic love pairs of all time. Han, however, is not a prince. He does not come to the rescue and is the hero of the story. They both share the part of the hero in this saga. Of course, they are both in distress sometimes, but they share the act of reducing each other from danger. It is an equal balance and one doesn't have more of the hero profile than the other. At first, Leia and Han are both in denial and do not want to admit the feelings they have for each other. They put them aside to be able to accomplish the higher missions and do not get distracted by feelings. Rarely do you see the princess not admit the love for her prince. Leia definitely was given a love interest and story, but the story of Han and Leia is not of all focus.

Princess Leia and Carrie Fisher are one of the most iconic role models for girls and for everyone as well. She taught us that not all princesses are as they seem. Women are capable of doing just as much, if not more than men. Princesses do not always have to be the victim and damsel in distress, but rather be a hero in the story. Women were taught by Carrie/Leia that we can be anything we set our minds to and do not have to be what others expect of us. She showed extreme confidence in herself and was always set in what she did and said. She showed that everyone is equally strong and fierce and no one can change that. Carrie made Leia shatter every typical view princesses were given and for that, the whole galaxy will be forever thankful.

Carrie Fisher and everything she has given to the world will be forever missed but never forgotten. You will always be loved and Thank You for all you have done for the world. You will always be the brightest star in the galaxy. May The Force Be With You, Always and Forever. RIP.