5 Reasons I'm Lucky To Call You My Step Dad

You don't have to love me as your own, but you do it anyways.

50
Shelby Packard

You weren’t there for my first steps, my first day of school, or my first basketball game but you came into my life at just the right moment and played the part like you never skipped a beat. You didn’t have to take the role or love me like your own when you married my mom, but without question you not only promised to love my mom forever but my sister and I as well and I could not be more grateful for that.

You Would Go To The Moon and Back For Me

Without question you have been one of the biggest helps in my life. Whatever I needed you were the “Go To” guy without fail. There is no doubt in my mind you would go to the end of the earth for me if I needed you to. Whenever I had a problem or needed to be somewhere you would rearrange your schedule for me or come up with the best solutions to get me through and I could not thank you enough. Sometimes, it may seem like I take it for granted because I don’t express my appreciation for it every time but, just know you amaze me everyday with all that you do for me.

Your Dad Jokes Are A1

Who knew even a step dad could throw around a good dad joke now and then. I don’t know how you come up with the stuff you do, but even when I roll my eyes at you, deep down I gave it a good chuckle. I might never admit it to you, but your dad jokes are pretty clever even when I act like you’re embarrassing to be around.

You Give the Best Advice

Your ability to give outside perspective on things helps me more than you will ever realize. You are able to give the best pep talks and show me sides to situations I would never even realize if it wasn’t for you. Your unconditional love for me shows every time you sit me down and set me straight when I am worried about something.

You Love My Mom Deeply And Example Everything I Should Look For

Every time I watch you interact with my mom, even if my parents didn’t work out, I still witness true love through you two and I couldn’t be happier for you both. You give her the world everyday and even tell her how beautiful she is. Sometimes, in my generation, it feels like I am witnessing a lost art to fall in love with someone everyday but you both prove me wrong and I am so grateful for that. You model after everything I hope to someday find in a man and you never let me forget my worth, I cant help but role my eyes every time you say “There’s something different about Shelby today, Shelby did you get even more beautiful from the last time I saw you?” I roll my eyes at you for your incredibly corny comment, but I am so lucky to have a man show me my own beauty in the moments that I forget.

You Have Given Me Unconditional Support

Through everything, you have gone to every event, large or small, in my life sine the day you have been apart of it. You don’t have to support me. You don’t have to spend your time attending all of my events. You didn’t have to take pictures at every basketball game, prom, and track event, but you did. You didn’t have to organize your schedule to make it to senior class night, graduation, or the day I moved into my college dorm, but you did. You didn’t have to take my side and tell me you are proud of me every time I changed my major or made major life decisions, but you did and you still continue to do so. You didn’t have to love me as your own and accept me after every mistake, you reminded me of each lessoned learned and still sent me on my way to grow.

I am so blessed to get to have you in my life as my step dad. The man who bakes cookies for the neighbors and gives more than he takes will forever be my role model. You have taught me so much since you married my mom. You didn’t have to love my mom, sister, and I as deeply as you do, but you do and I am eternally grateful for you.