5 Reasons I'm Happy I Got Dropped From My Sorority

And to those of you asking, yes I am "okay."
1670

At first, I thought my life was over. Not literally, of course, but I was pretty upset. I got dropped from my sorority a mere three hours before I was supposed to get initiated. But, I'm actually happy about it, and here's why:

1. No more living by someone else's rules.

I am by no means a bad girl. I'm not a rebel and do not like to cause trouble. But I absolutely hate living by others' rules. "No doing this," "No doing that." If somebody tries to tell me what to do, they will watch me fulfill that action right in front of them. I felt as though I was walking on eggshells trying to please everyone and not break any rules. THANK GOODNESS I DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT ANYMORE! Now, watch me dance on a table (because yes, that was actually a rule).

2. Sundays are finally mine.

Being a full-time college student and transitioning to a new job, I barely have time to study as is. Now, I don't have to worry about setting aside 4+ hours on Sunday for chapter. Of course, it was great seeing everyone and my actual friends, but now I can relax, I don't have to put on makeup and heels and dress nice. I can wake up whenever I want, eat some breakfast, study, catch up on emails, schedule my week, and so much more. I actually have the whole day to watch football and Netflix if I want to! I can work the Sunday brunch rush and make major bank.

3. No more dues.

Any Greek organization is not cheap. They are expensive, especially when I paid for all of the dues and fees by myself. Within two months, I spent nearly $700 just in dues before initiation. Now, poof, all gone. BUT, I do not need to pay any more dues ever again! I can use that money for food or pay my tuition or even buy that shirt I've had my eye on for awhile.

4. No blending in.

Every organization has their ideal individual in mind, hence why you are given a bid from said organization. You fit the image they want. I am definitely a unique person. I did not mesh well with all of the girls in the organization, but I still respected them and tried my best to understand them.

Now, I can act however I want (within reason of course). I can say what I want when I want and how I want. I do not have to adhere to any image needed to be upheld. I can be whoever I want to be without a label defining me.

5. I don't have to pretend to be happy.

I wasn't happy, at all. I felt judged. I felt as though I didn't fit in. I felt like I had to try to impress every single individual in that room and if I upset one I was done. I loved what the organization stood for, I really did, but I was miserable. I would go home crying because I thought I wasn't welcomed, soon to find out I really wasn't welcomed. But now, I don't have to pretend.

This organization was not for me, and that is perfectly okay! I do not regret my decisions or time spent towards the organization. But, I'm happy I'm not in it anymore.

The way I got dropped (over a lie and rumor, might I add) sucks, but it was the way it was meant to happen. I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, and that God was protecting me from something. I am happy, and I am not pretending anymore.