5 Reasons Why You Should Consider Going Greek

So, what is the big deal about joining a sorority or fraternity? Is it really such a magical experience like their members say it is?

36
Gradeslam

You have probably seen them all over your campus. Every Fall, members of Greek life urge students to participate in rush week. They have events on the quad to get people interested in Greek life so that their community can grow. So, what is the big deal about joining a sorority or fraternity? Is it really such a magical experience like their members say it is? Is it actually worth the time and financial commitment?

Well, I can honestly say that all of those statements are true. As a proud member of Delta Phi Epsilon sorority at my college, I can honestly say that the experience is unlike any other and that the commitment is worth it. Being involved in your campus' Greek life community will give you possibilities that you never imagined. So, here are five reasons why you should seriously consider going Greek this Fall:

1. The friendships

This is one of the best benefits of going Greek. You will probably find some of your best friends within your sorority or fraternity. Your sisters or brothers will always be there for you and you will wonder how you made it through college without them before you went Greek. However, what you may not realize is that you will be introduced to so many people in the other Greek life organizations at your school and some of them will become your friends too. You may find guys in the fraternities that end up being some of your best friends and vice versa. Just because you are in a different organization does not mean that you cannot make friends with other people in Greek life. Obviously, everyone in the Greek life community at your school understands what it's like and you will be able to relate to them and interact with them a lot.

2. Getting to really make a difference

Community service is an important part of Greek Life. Each organization has its own philanthropies that they support all year long. Most sororities and fraternities also do local volunteer work like participating in breast cancer walks, cleaning up local beaches, assisting with your campus' move in days, and etc. The events you hold to raise money for your philanthropies are fun and seeing the total amount of money you help raise for a great cause is extremely rewarding. Bringing attention to great causes that deserve more attention like anorexia and Cystic Fibrosis is an important task that you can actually help achieve alongside your sisters or brothers.

3. Gaining critical leadership experience

Greek organizations have executive boards, leadership teams, and various positions that members can be a part of to help run their organization at their school. You will have a specific title and set of responsibilities if you get elected into a position. Some positions involve a lot more than others do but no matter what position you decide to pursue, you will gain a lot of leadership experience. Events, fundraisers, meetings, recruitments, socials, formals, and etc. do not just happen on their own. All events and aspects of your organization require a lot of planning and hard work that is completed by people in your own chapter. Depending on your position, you will gain budgeting, social media, organizing, event planning, fundraising, advertising, recruiting, time management, and people skills experience that will help you in your future career.

4. Academic standards

You have to meet certain GPA requirements in order to join and stay in a sorority or fraternity. Many Greek life organizations have academic events to encourage their members to get good grades so that they can maintain the minimum GPA requirement. Things like group study nights and just always having a sister or brother around to study with makes getting good grades easier. The academic successes of your sisters or brothers will also help motivate you to work harder. Being able to get advice about professors, majors, and classes from upperclassmen members of your organization can also help you have a less stressful academic experience.

5. Social and networking opportunities

Your social life will be a lot more active when you are in a sorority or fraternity. There will always be something to do or people you can hang out with. You will have a better connection to your campus as well because so many of your organization's events will take place there. In terms of networking, being in Greek life can help you a lot when it comes to job hunting. The person reviewing your resume may favor you more if they see that you were in the same sorority or fraternity as they were. Going Greek is not just for four years, it is for life and the connections you make now can help you a lot in the future.