5 Reasons To Backpack Europe

5 Reasons To Backpack Europe

It's the best place to get your feet wet.

64
5 Reasons To Backpack Europe
Doug Diaz

Back in 2013, I embarked on my first cross-continent backpacking journey across Europe. Starting in Dublin, my goal was to loop around into the Baltics, hitting as many countries as possible. As I stood on the O’Connell Bridge gazing at the River Liffey below, I had no idea it would serve as a stepping stone into the backpacking lifestyle.

Looking back on the experience, it was also the best place to start. With little to no visa requirements, few border crossings, and diverse historical locations, Europe is the best place to get your feet wet.

1. Transportation

No region has mastered the art of transportation like Europe, this stretches into both international bus services and inner-city transport. Unfortunately, I don’t have much experience with the railways, but I know plenty about the bus system.

You want to take a bus ride and enjoy the countryside? No problem. Flixbus, Eurolines, Eurobus, Ecolines, Student Agency, the list is numerous. Buses in Europe are as plentiful as pigeons in NYC. Lastly, if you do take the bus, I recommend taking the long night buses, that you cover the costs of accommodation and transportation in one solution.

2. Hostels

With transportation being so accessible, it’s only natural that accommodation follows suit. Luckily, Europe is where hostels originated, and it's a great way to save money. Understand that there’s a difference in hostels in both western and eastern Europe. In western Europe, you’re more likely to find large, almost hotel-like, hostels. These massive buildings hold easily hold hundreds of people.

On the other hand, in eastern Europe, you’re more likely to find smaller, hostels of a few dozen travelers. Hostels have different amenities that may include laundry service, bars, lounge areas, entertainment rooms, tour kiosks, and some even book bus tickets.

3. Schengen

Another important factor of travel is the dreaded visa, as someone who has chased that infamous sticker many times, I can attest to it being a deterrent. Luckily, the Schengen Agreement, and C.T.A. eliminates this headache. With Schengen, travelers are allowed to visit 26 countries over the span of 90 days within a 180-day time frame. This includes big names like Italy, Germany, France, Poland, etc.

However, remember, Belarus and Russia do require a tourist visa, typically with the reservation of a tour company.

Also, not all countries fall under this umbrella, places like Serbia, Romania, and Ukraine have their own requirement. But, luckily for U.S. travelers, they’re visa-free. Now, do keep in mind, there are still border crossings into those nations, but it’s painless. Plus, if you’re planning to do future adventures, I recommend at least one border crossing to understand the process.

4. Easily accessible historical cities

Unlike other continents such as Asia and Africa, which have major cities and interests spread out, Europe’s inter-connected infrastructure means in the span of two months, you can easily hit some of the most historically important cities in one go. Such mouth-watering names as London, Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Athens, Warsaw, Copenhagen, Budapest, Prague, etc., are all easily accessible on the trail. Drooling yet? It gets better, most of these cities are accessible within 8-10 hours by bus. Don't let political maps fool you, it's easy to hit multiple major cities within a week. Honestly, the sensation of lounging on the banks of Amsterdam’s canals knowing that you’ll be heading to Berlin in a few hours is an incredible feeling. So much culture and history are attainable in just a few weeks. Speaking of cities and culture.

5. It’s bloody Europe, mate

Ok, so I’m a little bias on this aspect, most people I converse with state that I have a more European mindset. But let me explain, Europe has an appeal of being a spearhead for literature, art, architecture, film, philosophy and numerous other outlets. Imagine it this way, in one second, you’re in Oslo, at an art gallery admiring Munch paintings. The next moment, you’re relaxing along canal banks where Monet captured his Impressionist images.

Afterwards, you’re in Vilnius, glancing at preserved relics that commemorate the rebellion and sacrifice against communism. Now, as you enter Brussels, you’re having a laugh with the Mannekin-Pis. Now blink, and you’re in Serbia surrounded by tens of thousands of screaming Partizan football fans at a Belgrade derby.

Wake up, now you’re in the red light canal banks of Amsterdam, observing the majestic hedonist in its natural habitat.

Combine all five of these things together, and you create the best starter trail for any traveler, especially backpackers.