5 Realizations You Have On Winter Break

5 Realizations You Have On Winter Break

"Was home always this boring?"
161

Probably one of the most looked-forward-to breaks of the school year- winter break seriously does not disappoint. Who would hate relaxing, eating home-cooked meals, and sleeping all day? However, being a college freshman, I've never had a month long break when I've been away from home for so long. So far, I've realized a ton about being back in my hometown and having my family around again. Without further ado, here are 5 realizations I've had on winter break:

1. You get bored--REALLY fast.

A month at home sounds exciting at first (and it is), but after about a week of sleeping till noon and raiding your fridge and pantry for every snack imaginable, the days start to blend together and you realize how, in college, every day is different and new. You also realize how, apart from the local Mexican restaurant down the street where you see everyone and your friend's basement, there aren't many places to go and hang out.

2. You drive EVERYWHERE.

When I'm at school, my main modes of transportation are my own two feet or the university bus system, so it was a nice change of pace to be driving in my own car again. I didn't realize how much I actually missed driving around my hometown's streets with the windows down and the music blaring at top volume.

3. You love home-cooked meals...but miss the convenience of dining halls.

I cannot tell you how excited I was to not eat from a dining hall for a month. In fact, my mouth was watering at the thought of actual mac 'n cheese and fresh vegetables and fruit. However, after a week without dining halls, I find myself seriously missing the convenience of having quick and endless options for every meal of the day. Not having burgers, pasta, a full stocked deli, and an entire salad bar to choose from every hour of every day is definitely an adjustment.

4. You become a celebrity to your neighbors.

I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped by my neighbors just to have them ask me about how my first semester went. In fact, this doesn't even just apply to neighbors; whether it be your local Starbucks, the grocery store, or out on the street, old classmates and acquaintances alike will stop you in your tracks to ask you how college is going so far. It's actually pretty awesome. Enjoy your fifteen minutes of fame, everyone!

5. You realize how nice it is to be home.

The fact that the semester is over and that your only job is to sit back and relax makes being home ten times better. Yes, college is a lot more fast-paced and probably a lot more fun than your hometown, but nothing beats sitting at home with your family at Christmastime.