I just recently moved into a studio apartment. I’ve never lived on my own before and I am really happy I am able to because I love having my own little place. I can decorate however I want and listen to whatever music I want. While I have loved living on my own I have run into some new realities.

1. I have to kill spiders and other bugs

I hate spiders. They are gross and creepy. Thankfully (knock on wood) I haven’t run into this problem yet, but when the time comes I know I’m the one who has to do it.

2. I only have my own strength to open things

I can’t say, “hey can you open this for me?” anymore.

3. I talk to myself a lot

I will shamelessly admit that I talk to myself a lot. I don’t have conversations with myself or anything but I find myself voicing my thoughts more often than I used to.

4. I have to get creative when it comes to reaching things

I’m short. One struggle of being short is not being able to reach things. This was mainly an issue when I was decorating. I always keep my little step-stool handy!

5. I have to make food if I want to eat

I can be lazy sometimes, especially when it comes to making food. I’m not good at cooking but I have learned that I will have to learn how to be at least decent at cooking. I can’t live off peanut butter sandwiches and mac and cheese forever.

So far living on my own has been a lot of trial and error. I think I’m finally getting the hang of it though. I’m really grateful for this opportunity to claim a little more of my independence. I know I have a lot of growing to do before I can confidently say I’m an “adult”, but I think living on my own is a step towards that.