5 Questions We Have For The AMA's Whitney Houston Tribute

We need to get to the bottom of it.

162

The 2017 American Music Awards was a night filled with dramatic performances, gravity-defying sets and an overall family affair. And just as every other year, there were some amazing memories created, as well as some WTF moments.

The “fan-favorites” award show took place on Nov. 19, and as the 45th annual edition, of course a longstanding event like this had timeless tributes. The two most important parts of the night: a medley performed by Christina Aguilera honoring the 25th anniversary of the hit movie, The Bodyguard, starring Houston and Kevin Costner, as well as the tribute to Diana Ross, recipient of this year’s American Music Award for Lifetime Achievement, and her powerful finale.

The finale was absolutely amazing. As elegant as ever, Diana Ross graced the stage with a medley of classic hits. She brought her entire family on stage, along with some friends and strangers, and before you knew it, there was a huge crowd of people, of all different ages and races, all together for one purpose. Ross' children, nieces, nephews and even some familiar faces like her long-time friend Smokey Robinson hopped up on stage.

“This is all about love,” Ross said. “This says it all, this is my family—and I’m sending love out there to all of you, each and every one of you, of our global family.”

It was a wonderful moment in time for powerful black women in music and inspirational to everyone.

The Whitney Houston tribute however, was not as magical as it should have been.

As a huge, childhood fan of Christina Aguilera, I was disappointed. Though I can’t help but to know the effort was there. She did her best and still managed to cover the medley eloquently. It was good—it just wasn’t good enough.

I do think Whitney would be proud. Aguilera did have the most difficult job—to honor the icon herself. But with some flat notes and weird arrangements, she just did not quite live up to the Whitney legacy.

But something is wrong here. How could an amazing singer like Xtina not quite get it? Why did this performance seem so off? She surely has the resume to fill the job—with emotionally-charged albums like Stripped and insanely powerful ballads—the girl has been known to hit some notes. I mean ironically enough, a reference that Christina could "out-Whitney, Whitney" was even mentioned in her Stripped album review by Rolling Stone in 2002.

But something was totally off with Xtina this time and of course Twitter was quick to bully. Despite the haters, she gave it her all and that’s what matters. We just want to know what went wrong. Here are a few questions we need to get to the bottom of:

1.) Was she set up for failure?

Poor Xtina. The hardest part about this was the pressure. Everyone was looking forward to this with high expectations for one vocal icon to honor another. A musical tribute of this caliber is held up to such high standards that anything less than perfect would have still been scrutinized. Was it the arrangements? Was it her key changes and low mumbling of some of the words? Was she the right woman for the job?

2.) Is her voice too low to sing like Whitney?

Aguilera has been known to have that low, deep, sultry voice, so were these original songs not fit for her range? Was this alto not quite suited for Whitney’s wide-range of vocal capability?

3.) Did facial or lip injections affect her performance?

Aw, man. Celebrities and their cosmetics procedures. When will it stop? An entire article published by People is dedicated entirely to "Christina's lips." Let's really hope this news doesn't become like the next Kylie Jenner lip obsession. We saw Xtina had a different look to her, and we're not really sure if it's the "all-natural," light makeup look, or if its lip injections. But something was different. Would that procedure even affect a powerhouse voice like hers?

4.) Did the family give their blessing?

I pose this question because during Xtina's performance, when the camera cut to Houston's nieces in the crowd, they look pretty unamused. They could have possibly been just trying to hold back emotion but in the clip, they weren't singing along to any words, weren't really dancing or moving, and didn't quite have that "moved" presence. Regardless of Aguilera's errors, hopefully the tribute made Houston's family proud.

5.) Should they have just chosen someone else?

With so many power vocalists out there, who could actually fill the shoes of Whitney herself? Whitney wasn't even Whitney. She was something else. So, the selection was hard, and we can all see from her past why Xtina is definitely a prime candidate for the job.

Maybe another amazing singer like Jennifer Hudson or someone else could have done a better job—but maybe not. Maybe certain powerful voices only grace us once in a lifetime for a reason. Their legacy literally lives on forever.