5 Pieces Of Brutally Honest Advice To Incoming Freshmen

Here are just a few things you actually need to know to get prepared for college.

50
Emily Wilson

We all come to college thinking we have at least some idea of what we're doing. Luckily, it takes only seconds to figure out that's as completely far from the truth as possible. We turn to asking others for advice, perhaps people that have recently survived freshman year or people we deem to be successful adults. We hope that they can give us the answers we need to get through it all. However, usually they tell us the nice, fluffy pieces of advice that it usually doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out—be nice to your roommate, make friends, get involved, and so on. What they neglect to tell you are pieces of infortmation that might not sound as good online. So, without further ado, incoming freshmen, buckle up.

1. It's okay to come in "undecided", but not for long.

Every single icebreaker at orientation, in class, and with basically anyone you encounter will include the question, "What's your major?" If undecided, you say "I'm undecided," and are usually immediately hit with the response of "That's totally okay!" And it is. However, what no one really tells you is that you can't be undecided for long at all. Obviously, you were going to have to decide at some point, but you're never really told when that point is. For most universities, it's usually after four semesters (so after sophomore year), which makes sense. However, if you're like me and completely took advantage of dual enrollment classes in high school to save money and earn credits early, coming in undeclared will probably bite you, because it gives you less time to decide. In my case, I changed majors second semester of my freshman year, and afterwards, my counselor said, "It's a good thing you did this now, because if you waited any longer, you probably wouldn't graduate on time." The reason is, after my first semester sophomore year when I have all my prerequisites for my major's program, I can get admitted into it, thanks to all my dual enrollment classes. Had I not changed when I did, I would've been delayed in my degree progress. In an article on Forbes, author Troy Onink quotes a man named Dan Johnston (Regional Director of Pennsylvania’s Higher Education Assistance Agency,) which reiterates my point: "Going to college as an undeclared major often leads to students having to spend extra semesters or years in college to get the classes that they need for the major that they eventually choose. Often those students take on more debt as a result."

2. Don't go to fraternity parties alone.

It's not that all fraternity boys are disgusting, assaulting pigs, because that's completely as far from the truth as possible. However, if you can ensure your safety by adding a buddy into the situation, there's no reason to not. Especially if you plan on drinking, have a sober friend there with you to make sure you know when you've had enough and to keep creepy boys away.

3. Don't judge an entire fraternity/sorority by one member.

Even if you don't become a member of the fraternity and sorority community, this is very important. If you do choose to become a member of a fraternity or sorority, however, you can imagine how you would feel if you overheard someone on campus bashing your entire chapter, saying how terrible of people you were. It wouldn't feel good at all. You need to learn to respect the entire community, and not judge the bunch by one bad apple. You're going to coinhabit the campus, so there's not point in making it harder on yourself, or damaging the campus's reputation in the process.

4. Get a job.

It doesn't matter if your parents will be paying for none of your schooling or all of it, for the love of God, get a job. Be more than a stereotype of a college student that doesn't have a job, mooches off of their parents' money, and spends it all on clothes and alcohol. Yeah, odds are it will completely suck, but there are options of on campus jobs to help make it easier to balance classes with it. Not only that, but you'll gain a sense of pride and ownership for having actually earned your money. And if your parents do choose to pay for your schooling, that'll just be extra money to spend how you want, without having to ask your parents before every purchase. You're in college to train and prepare for the real world, so start acting like it.

5. Be more than who your parents are.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with who your parents are or the life they have accomplished. That's completely not the point. You've spent 18 years, your entire existence, in a house with your parents, being raised by them, overhearing their opinions. It's all you've known until this point. College is for expanding your mind, opinions, beliefs, and yourself. When people come to speak on campus, listen to them—even if they seem a little crazy, even if they say everything you disagree with. Your views on issues and in life in general may change once you've stepped off your house's doorstep, so be open to it. Figure out who you are on your own.