5 Pieces of Advice to Get Through High School, From A Graduating Senior

573
Athol Daily News

High school can be one of the toughest things to get through, you're learning new things and growing into who you are. Things change, people change, and you change that's just how it works. We're all just figuring out how to deal with conflict, relationships, emotions, time management, our social lives, and what a real friend is. It wasn't easy for me to survive high school, but now that graduation is coming up i'm looking back at the decisions I made and the things I did to get through it.

1. Remove toxic people from your life

I'm not saying you have to remove them completely, but limit contact. I had friends freshman year that I don't talk to anymore, and some who I talk to but not on a regular basis. Friends who aren't supportive aren't really friends. You should be comfortable doing things you love, you shouldn't be afraid of what they think or if they'll make fun of you or not. If they're making fun of you because of something that makes you happy or they just aren't supportive in general, it's time to distance yourself.

2. Be upfront with people

Always be 100% honest about how you feel. Whether it's in a relationship or a friendship, being honest will always get you further than lying about something. Make sure you express your feelings and beliefs first, if the person doesn't appreciate you being honest with them they're not worth your time.

3. Do what you love, even if you're afraid of what people might think.

Whatever you love doing whether it's theater, a sport, or some kind of club I urge you to do it no matter what people think. Honestly life is just way to short to worry about what people might think of you for doing something you love. There's always gonna be those times where you accidentally embarrass yourself or mess up and that's totally okay, the best thing you can do is laugh through it. Laughing at yourself honestly makes messing up so much easier! I've met some of my best friends doing the things I love and they are honestly the best people, I wish I did the things I wanted to earlier than later so I could've had the happiness and the people a lot earlier

4. Forgive, but don't forget

It's always good to be a forgiving person, and sometimes you should forget somethings because arguments can be over something so dumb, but sometimes forgetting will just let you be hurt by the same person in the same way over and over again. Know when you should forgive, but know when someone is treating you badly. This way you can know if this person is toxic or not, you can then decide if this person is good to be around or not

5. Don't be too hard on yourself

One thing I wish I didn't do throughout high school is be so harsh on myself. This is just stress you're putting on yourself, although it can be good for getting last minute assignments done its not good for your health. It's not good for your body to be stressed all the time and it can actually make you more prone to illnesses. One bad grade on an assignment isn't the end of the world, try harder next time. You made a mistake? Don't do it again. Learn from your mistakes, and move on.