5 Petty Things College Roommates Do, Even If They Are Good People

Consider this me officially calling you all out.

281
Max Pixel

If there was anything I dreaded most about college, it was the idea of having to share a dorm with some random person fate had assigned me to, and I feel like most people can relate to that; a lot of us have our own space to retreat to right up until move-in day comes around.

You hear so many horror stories about bad roommates that you think you couldn’t possibly end up with a good one.

Then, before you know it, you quickly end up with a new friend. But even so, no matter how much you and your roommate come to love being around each other, there are always some bad habits we just can’t kick, and so this week I present you with a list of the five petty things all roommates do:

1. Leave dirty dishes in the sink for literal daaaayyyyyyys.

If there’s one sight every college student has seen, it’s a bowl of crusty ramen noodles stuck to the inside of a pot that’s been settling into the sink for at least a week. Sure, you get it, maybe it’s been a busy week for them and they just can’t find the time to do it, but that doesn’t make your kitchen smell any better.

2. Have guests spend the night without giving you a heads up.

Everything's all fine and dandy as you trot your way home after your last Friday class, looking forward to a peaceful and relaxing weekend. Then the first thing you see when you open your door is a stranger setting down two backpacks and a suitcase right next to your dresser and trying to find somewhere to stick their bedding. Nine times out of ten, you end up making friends with their guest after only an hour or two and would love to have them visit again sometime, but that doesn't mean you don't want a warning next time.

3. Wait until the trash is overflowing to take it out, and even then only reluctantly so.

I'll take "things that make my germophobic blood boil for 200 points, Steve." Of all the things on this list, this is the only one that actually gets me annoyed. If it's a trash can in a shared space and you notice it's starting to get pretty full, just take one for the team and drag it down to the trash room. Yeah it's gross and it might smell weird, but give it enough time and the rest of your dorm will too.

4. Have "guests" spend the night without giving you a heads up.

You know that cliche "leave a sock on the doorknob so I know you're in there with someone" thing you see in bad movies about college? Yeah, I'd like to get Congress to pass that into law as standard operating procedure for when you bring over a hookup. There's nothing wrong with a casual fling (it's college, it's bound to happen), but I'd like to at least brace myself for my dorm suddenly becoming rated R.

5. Always having their significant other over.

Love is beautiful and amazing and the best thing ever, I get it. But still, I paid for a two-person, not a three-person. I don't mind if Samantha or Annie or Sasha or whoever-the-fuck it is this month decides to chill time from time, but I'd like to be able to walk around naked in my own dorm just a little bit, thank you very much.