5 Nutrient-Rich Foods Every Women Should Eat During Pregnancy

The essential nutrients to consume during pregnancy

51

Eating healthy during pregnancy is imperative because, during this time, you are not only required to achieve optimal health but have to consider your baby's nourishment. But not sure what to eat? You are not alone. Many pregnant women ask the same question. Let's give you the answer.

Well, the variety in food is key to healthy food. Make sure you include different kinds of healthy food, including fruits and vegetables, in your diet. Before heading over to five nutrient-rich foods, you must know about the essential nutrients you require during pregnancy.

The essential nutrients to consume during pregnancy:

1.Folic acid:

Folic acid is a B vitamin known as B9 or folate. It is found in dark green vegetables and citric fruits like broccoli, spinach, legumes, peas, and oranges etc. It is an essential nutrient that helps in the production of red blood cells. Essentially, it is highly required for pregnant women to reduce the chances of neural tube defects. These are birth defects that lead to incomplete development of the child's brain and spinal cord.

2.Iron:

Iron is a very essential nutrient that our body uses to make haemoglobin. Haemoglobin is a small protein part of red blood cells that carries oxygen. Pregnant women need double oxygen for themselves and their baby. It means that it is essential to eat food rich in iron to help the body transport oxygen to the lungs of the mother and child. Also, the deficiency in iron causes anaemia, which causes weakness. Anaemia during pregnancy can cause the birth of a small child or early birth.

3.Zinc:

Zinc is so, so important to take during pregnancy. The main role of zinc is cell division, protein synthesis, and growth. During pregnancy, when a cell grows into a being of trillion cells, it is essential to offer the nutrients required for cell division and growth. Zinc is the nutrient necessary for that. Zinc also helps in DNA construction. Therefore, it is very significant to consume foods high in Zinc for the development of the child.

4.Calcium:

Calcium is another essential nutrient required for the body. It helps in the development of the bones and teeth of the child. Also, it helps in building muscles and developing the heart and nerves. Mothers also direly need calcium as it strengthens their bones and muscles. Therefore, it is essential to consume it from food or supplements.

5.DHA:

DHA is the short form of Docosahexaenoic acid, which is an Omega 3 fatty acid. It is essential for pregnant women because it helps in the development of the brain, eyes, and nervous system of a baby. It can also help in increasing the weight of the baby and preventing preterm labour. Therefore, it is very essential to include food having DHA in your daily routine.

Five foods to eat during pregnancy:

Following are the top five nutritious foods that you should eat during pregnancy.

1. Sweet potatoes:

Sweet potatoes are one of the most essential food items for pregnant women. First of all, they provide energy, in the form of starch, and many other nutrients like calcium, magnesium, potassium, vitamin A, and B vitamins that are helpful in different development processes. Vitamin A in sweet potatoes helps in the development of the foetus, which means it helps in the development of different organs of the child. Vitamin C in sweet potatoes speed up enzyme activity and helps in the development of bones. It also increases iron absorption, which is a highly essential nutrient for both mother and baby. Sweet potato is a fibrous food; thus, it prevents constipation, which is very common during pregnancy.

2. Lean meat:

Lean meat is meat that contains low fat, like chicken. Consuming lean meat is very essential during pregnancy as it contains iron, zinc, vitamin B12, Omega 3 fatty acids, and protein. The zinc in lean meat helps in cell growth, development, and growth. It also contributes to the construction of DNA. On the other hand, iron is very necessary for pregnant women as it makes the haemoglobin of the red blood cells, which carries oxygen. It helps in fulfilling the oxygen requirements of both the child and mother. Omega 3 fatty acids aid the development of essential organs of the baby like the eyes and brain and also help in the development of the nervous system.

3. Yoghurt:

Yoghurt is one of the most essential foods to take during pregnancy as it contains calcium. We have discussed earlier that it is essential to consume calcium for helping the baby's bones and teeth grow. It is also necessary for the mother's strength as her body consumes the calcium it requires for the child. So, if your body does not have enough calcium, your bones and muscles will get weak. Also, the active cultures in yoghurt can prevent stomach upsets and yeast infections, as they are common during pregnancy.

4. Lentils:

As mentioned earlier, a variety of food is a healthy diet; it is essential to add lentils to your routine. Lentils are rich in the B vitamin, also known as folate. Folate is essential for the production of red blood cells. It helps in reducing the risk of neural tube defects. It is vital for the development of the brain and nervous system.

5. Salmon:

Salmon consists of Omega 3s fatty acids, vitamin B12, and calcium. So, it can help in the child's development and growth. These nutrients help in the growth of the brain, nervous system and many organs like the heart, kidney, eyes etc. It helps in preventing preterm labour or delivery and lowering the risk of preeclampsia.

Bottom Line:

During pregnancy, it is essential for the mothers to eat healthily. It is significant for their own strength and for the development of their child. Pregnant women need to eat food rich in iron, zinc, folic acid, calcium, and DHA. These nutrients are necessary for the health of the mother and the growth and development of the child.