5 Musicians Who Deserve a Listen

5 Musicians Who Deserve a Listen

From soul to EDM, these artists cover the spectrum of music and will be sure to satiate our appetites for new music.

26
5 Musicians Who Deserve a Listen
FewStuff

Saying I get ridiculously excited when I find a new artist to listen to is an understatement. Music has evolved tremendously since it was first popularized, and there are hundreds of genres for people to enjoy. Sadly, many artists go without recognition, especially if their music isn't particularly mainstream. The musicians listed in this article have unique sounds and performance styles, and that is why I've taken such an interest in them. These artists range from soulful pop to electronic dance music, and some of them even draw inspiration from older musicians. If you're like me and love discovering up-and-coming artists or immersing yourself in the catalogs of older musicians, this article is for you!

Lissie

Compared to a modern day Stevie Nicks blended with a little Joni Mitchell, Lissie is slowly working her way up the ladder of the indie music scene. Her career started in 2006 by playing small audiences around the U.S.. My friend discovered her in December of last year and we've both been hooked ever since! Her most recent album titled My Wild West has hits such as "Ojai," "Wild West," "Hero," and "Daughters." Her blues and folk vibes will leave you feeling happy and inspired. She recently played a show at Terminal West in Atlanta where she packed the house and exposed many people to the charming nature of herself and her fans. Lissie has also recorded many covers of classic rock and current pop and hip-hop tunes, such as "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac and "Hold On, We're Going Home" by Drake.

Skrizzly Adams

Skrizzly Adams, who fans lovingly refer to as "Skrizz," is from New Jersey and is successful in many business ventures. Adams is rapper Chris Webby's producer and has his own brand of Skrizzly Adams beef jerky. I first encountered Skrizz when he opened up for Lissie on April 11 at Terminal West in Atlanta. I had never heard of him until the show, and he amazed me from the moment he and his band walked on stage. The artist himself is exteremly conversational with fans and answered any questions they had for him. His music is a beautiful blend of indie rock from this century and heartland rock of the 1970s and 1980s. In his song "That's Life" from his 2014 EP titled Stains, obvious influences of Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp and Tom Petty are heard. His newest single is titled "Tipping Point" and has angst behind the lyrics of the great track. It's his first single to be available on iTunes, so check it out if it sounds like he would suit your musical taste!

Zedd

Zedd is the man behind most of the pop and dance music we listen to at parties or outside the UWG Bookstore. With popular hits like "Clarity" with Foxes and "I Want You to Know" with Selena Gomez, Zedd has made a name for himself in the genre of electronic dance music, otherwise referred to as EDM. While he has had success in providing the music for popular artists to accompany with their voices, his solo tracks are equally as great. The same friend who introduced me to Lissie exposed me to his solo tunes and my favorite tracks of his are "True Colors" and "Daisy" from his 2015 album True Colors. His songs are guaranteed to make you feel good and will expose you to other new artists from his collaborations.

Kacey Musgraves

Hailing from Mineola, Texas, this spitfire of a musician has stole the hearts of country and pop fans everywhere. Hitting the music scene with "Follow Your Arrow" and "Blowin' Smoke" in 2013, Musgraves has made a name for herself in country music. One of my friends' sisters exposed me to her music and she's one of the few country artists I love. Musgraves has won two CMAs and Grammy awards along with an ACM award. Her most recent album titled Pageant Material was released in 2015 and is humorous and while showcasing her God-given vocal and musical talent. Hits from the album include "Biscuits" and "Family is Family," and both provide funny perspectives of growing up in a small town in the southern United States. The ability for me to relate to her music has drawn me in the most and her immense amount of talent has kept me hooked.

Paloma Faith

I stumbled upon Paloma Faith while I was listening to Lana Del Rey's Pandora radio station. I was immediately drawn in to her soulful voice and the retro sounds of her music. The first song I heard was her cover of "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS, and I fell in love with it. INXS is one of my favorite groups from the 1980s, and her bluesy and soul-filled twist to the already emotionally-charged lyrics of the song made me melt a little inside. Critics have compared her vocal style to be a blend of Amy Winehouse and Duffy, and one song that showcases her true skill is "Only Love Can Hurt Like This" from her 2014 album titled Perfect Contradiction. Faith is now a judge for the UK version of The Voice and has shared her expertise and advice with aspiring musicians from all over Europe.

Hopefully, these artists will diversify your music catalog or you'll realize someone else shares a love for the musician(s) you've been following for years as well! Even if these artists do not necessarily relate to your writing styles, they may open your mind and ears to new genres of music you never would have looked at if it weren't for this article. Happy listening!