5 Movies You Should Add To Your Summer Watch List

If you haven't watched these classics in awhile, you should definitely revisit them.
132

Last week, I wrote an article about the 5 classic novels you probably read in high-school that you should re-read; on that same note, this week’s article will be about the 5 movies that you should re-watch if you haven’t seen them already.

**This list will not feature films directed by Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, or Robert Zemeckis. They each deserve to have lists exclusive to them.

**Spoilers may be ahead. View at your own discretion.

This list includes but is not limited to:

1. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

Summary: When the idealistic young Jefferson Smith is appointed to the U.S. Senate, he ends up going head-to-head with Senator Joseph Paine, who endeavors to descridit Smith when he learns that the new Senator wants to build a boys' campsite where a more lucrative project could go. Determined to stand up against Paine and his corrupt peers, Smith takes his case to the Senate floor with one of the most underrated speeches in American film.

It's not a thriller, but this film openly examines the corruption of Washington from the inside out, and leaves its audience with a hopeful ending. Jefferson is the Congress hero we all need in real life, and his speech is still incredibly relevant.

2. Casablanca (1942)

Rick Blaine is a cynical American who owns a nightclub in French-occupied Morocco during WWII. When he is asked by his ex-lover Ilsa to help her famed rebel husband Victor Laszlo escape Casablanca before the Nazis recapture him, Rick must set aside his heartbreak and doubts about the goodness of humanity and decide between doing what is right and what is easy.

No, this movie isn’t action-packed, and there is no CGI involved; although a black-and-white film keeping the attention of the special effects generation seems like a tall order, trust me guys, it is worth your time. The dialogue is simply stunning. A true must-see for the aspiring writer or hopeless romantic.

3. The Godfather (1972)

You guys know what this is about, I don't need to explain. It's a staple in American cinema, and contains some of the most iconic scenes of all time (I'm thinking of the bloody horsehead in the bed). If you haven't seen it, you should add it to your summer watch-list; if for no other reason than to say that yes, you've seen it and yes, you get the references made to it in other movies.

4. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Summary: Clarice Starling is one of the few female top students at the FBI's training academy. Fellow agent Jack Crawford wants Clarice to interview Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant psychiatrist / violent psychopath, put behind bars for various counts of murder and cannibalism. Crawford believes that Lecter may have insight into a case that's baffled the Bureau, and that Starling, as an attractive young woman, may be just the bait needed to draw out the villian that's evaded Law Enforecement.

I'm sure most of you have heard about this one, but if you're like me and typically avoid horror films like the plague, you may not have taken the time to watch it. You should. The characterization of Clarice and Lecter is something to behold, and the suspence is spot-on. If you're worried about gore and excessive killing, don't be. This movie is well-balanced; more of a thriller than horror.

5. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Summary: After being wrongfully accused for the murders of his wife and her lover, Andy Dufresne is sentenced to two consecutive life terms in a harsh, corrupted prison called Shawshank. During the 19 years he spent there before escaping (spoiler), he forms friendships and experiences the brutality of prison life.

With themes like redemption, innocence versus guilty, and injustice, this film is sure to keep the attention of its viewers.

Do you guys agree with my list? What would you add?