In this life, we often cross paths with people who seem to bring nothing but hardship to our lives. It is difficult to understand what purpose this person serves other than being an obstacle in our paths. There are five types of people that you will most likely meet in your lifetime who change how you see things. These people play a crucial role in shaping who you are as a person. They cause you pain and face you with challenges that you have never faced before. These people will either break you down or make you stronger. Taking the hardship these individuals bring to your life and using it as a learning experience is the only way to ensure that you will not be hurt the same way again. Life presents us with plenty of obstacles, but in the end, these obstacles offer us a chance to become stronger for not only ourselves but also for the people we love.

1. The Demeaning Authority Figure

Whether it is a coach, teacher, or boss we have all experienced bullying from someone who holds much more power than us. They embarrass you in front of your peers and make you feel like a failure. This person can cause tremendous damage to your self esteem and make interacting with them unbearable. The relationship between you and a demeaning authority figure is a particularly difficult one because you feel completely powerless. It is extremely hard to defend yourself when you are in this position because most likely you depend on the person for a spot on the team, a grade in the class, or a job position. Although the situation may feel hopeless, it offers an important role in shaping your character. It would be easy to just quit the team/class/job, but then you are letting that hateful person win and have control over your life. By persevering and keeping your head high despite the immaturity of your authority figure, you become the true winner.

2. The Cheating Significant Other

This person will arguably be the hardest one to encounter. You have such an intimate relationship with this person that coming to the realization that they have betrayed you is devastating. When someone cheats on you, it changes the way you see everything for awhile. You question everything, you feel like you can’t trust anyone, and you tear yourself apart trying to figure out what you did wrong. After suffering this kind of heartbreak, it stays with you and follows you into your future relationships.You unintentionally take your trust issues out on other people in your life and make them suffer the consequences of the person who cheated on you. It is hard to see the bright side of meeting this person because they have caused you so much pain. Their presence teaches a unique lesson of trust, strength, and self worth. You learn the warning signs of an untrustworthy and unfaithful person which helps you prevent from getting hurt again. Going through this process requires an immense amount of personal strength that you probably did not even know you had within you. It also helps you realize your own self worth and what you deserve. Being cheated on is one of the hardest things to go through in life, but in the end it makes you better and stronger individual.

3. The Ex-Best Friend

Losing a friend that plays a prominent role in your life is never easy. In fact, it can leave you feeling like you lost a part of yourself as well. We all have had a friend that we think is going to be there until the end of time, but unfortunately walks away much earlier than anticipated. Sometimes friendships just naturally end and other times they come to a screeching halt due to a disagreement. Losing a long time friend sheds light on the fact that people come and go in life. You can’t force someone to stay in your life if they chose to walk away. This is hard to accept at first but it makes you stronger in the sense that you don’t need anyone who doesn’t need you. Being independent in friendships, relationships, and life endeavors is a quality that comes from experience. Losing this person can teach you to not let your happiness depend on others, but instead to create your own sense of happiness.

4. The Maddening Family Member

No family is perfect, we all have at least one member of our family who is a little more messed up than the rest of us. This person constantly tests your patience and makes dealing with them nearly impossible. What makes this individual different is that they are your own blood, which makes it extremely difficult to just turn your back on them. This person can bring such a heavy amount of stress to your life that it feels suffocating. This family member is so overbearing that it is hard to understand what purpose they serve in your life. This individual teaches you patience, compassion, and tough love. More than likely you have given this person more chances to prove themselves than they deserve just because they are family. They have taught you to be patient even when you are at your wits end and compassion to love them during dark times. Eventually, even with family members, enough is enough. This person can force you to give tough love and leave them on their own even though it may be the hardest thing you have ever done. There comes a point when patience becomes enabling and you have to let them learn things on their own. A maddening family member can teach you more than you ever thought possible.

5. The Abuser

There is no feeling that compares to being physically harmed by someone, especially if this person is someone you love. Whether that person is a significant other, family member, or friend, being struck by this person brings an indescribable ache to the heart. Finding any sort of positive quality to this person is extremely difficult because they have caused you a great deal of physical and emotional pain. This person does not compare to the other bad people you have encountered in life, they are the worst of them all. This individual will break you down to rock bottom and leave you to pick up the pieces alone. As hard as this situation is, once you break free you have a sense of strength that runs so deep within you that no one will ever be able to take away. You become the pinnacle of strength for not only yourself, but also for anyone else who may be going through this with you. This person changes your life and will forever be engrained in your memory. Learning how to break free from this person gives you the ultimate form of independence, strength, and pride. There is no greater accomplishment than standing up for yourself and for the people you love.