Going back to college as a sophomore is a relief. You don’t need to worry about the scares of not knowing anyone or living on your own because that ship has sailed. You’re not quite stressing about internships or graduating just yet. Sophomore year lets you relax and enjoy the friends that you’ve made so far. The last 15 weeks of the semester have been a rollercoaster ride, but I wouldn’t have changed any of it because it was the best semester yet.

1. Freshmen Year Friends Are a Thing

The people you were friends with freshmen year you may not still be friends with and that’s okay. There are people you were friends with because you had classes together or they lived down the hall. You had a great time last year but that doesn’t mean you need to force the friendship this year. Let it go.

2. Having a Single is Not Terrible

Not having a roommate seems horrible to some people. It’s actually a blessing. You can go hang out with all of your friends, but at the end of the day, you have your own space. Not to mention, nobody to share a closet with or clean up after.

3. Night Classes Should Not Be a Thing

Never, and I repeat, never take a night class. I don’t mean a late afternoon or 5 o’clock class. I mean the classes that are 2 and a half hours from 7:30-10 at night on a Monday when you much rather be watching some reality TV. It’s rough and I do not advise. Avoid them at all costs!

4. Don't Go Out When You're Sick

I had to learn this the hard way. It sounds pretty simple: Sick= Stay in bed and not go to a party. However, that is not the case when you have friends like mine. Don’t give into the peer pressure. Make yourself some hot chocolate, find your favorite blanket, and go to bed. There will be another party next week. Otherwise, you end up feeling like death for the next 2 weeks instead of just the weekend.

5. Find Your Forever Friends

Sophomore year you realize who will actually stick by your side both from college and at home. You’ve moved past the point of trying to stay in touch with everyone you went to high school with and are left with the few people you actually care about. And at college, you’ve known each other long enough now to start acting like your true, weird self and find the people that do the same. The playing nice phase is gone and you’ve finally found where you belong.

The semester had a lot of bumps along the way, but I’m here to tell you that it is possible to go out every weekend and have fun, but still get a 4.0 GPA. It’s all about who you surround yourself with. So make smart decisions, go crazy, and stay true to who you are. Your friends will pull you out in the hard times and celebrate during the good times.