5 Lessons Others Have Taught Me

5 Lessons Others Have Taught Me

Thank you to the people who helped me thrive.

400
5 Lessons Others Have Taught Me
Street Photography

As I get older, I discover more things about myself, others, and life in general. Sometimes things are good and other times they're horrible. However, through myself and in speaking with others, I have learned such valuable lessons that I could use in my everyday life. Some of these things gave me more confidence while others made me get a nice slap from reality. I hope that in the future I continue to learn more, and that what I've learned so far can be used by others as well.

Here are five life lessons I've learned from others:

1. "Don't spend time worrying about things that can't be prevented."

Taught to me by my step-dad, this is one of the most important things anyone has every told me. When I was younger and first developed anxiety, I made myself sick over everything. I was that one kid that heard there was a thunderstorm warning and started packing emergency kits.

One day, he sat me down and said, "Why are you worrying yourself silly over things that can happen no matter what you try to do to stop them?" I remember feeling stupid and having one of those 'U know what u right u right' moments.

There isn't any point of stressing yourself out about possibilities of what could go wrong when you can't change it. Sometimes, nothing even goes wrong! If you find yourself worrying about the impossible or things beyond your control, stop and calm yourself down. Sometimes life goes a different way than expected, and that's fine too.

2. "You will always find a reason to keep going in life."

Taught to me by one of my dearest friends when I was going through a lot of bad things and felt like I had no motivation to do anything anymore. I barely wanted to be on the planet. She told me to list a bunch of things that made me happy and told me that these are just small reasons to keep myself moving and doing my thing. Since then, I have always helped people who feel similarly to the way I did.

If you ever feel like giving up, think of everything you have or want to achieve in life. How would you do those things if you weren't here? What would all of the people you listed do without you? Things may definitely get hard sometimes, but you're way too important to give up.

3. "Live your young adult years up while you have them."

Taught to me by none other than my mom, when I started getting upset about where I was in life, she sat and talked to me about everything. No one goes into the day knowing what can happen. We could find out we're sick or have it be our last day. Tragedy could change our lives, and none of us would expect it.

Why waste the years everyone would kill to relive? Take chances, get in trouble, go on adventures, fall in love, make friends that will last a lifetime. Take a lot of pictures and videos while you live it up. It's so important to remember to have fun after a long day because you don't know when you won't be able to anymore. I want to be old and grey and remember the craziest of times I had when I was younger. Let's live our lives spontaneously while we have time.

4. "Let love find you unexpectedly."

I can't really remember where I heard this, but I have from multiple people. The perfect person may find you while you're at your worst. They might come into your life when you never thought they would, when you were doing anything besides looking. If you're happy with someone or find the person that makes you feel whole, go for it . Why pass up on a great person because you're scared or feel hesitant? Life is about taking risks, and no one knows the result of actions we may go through with. The only way to find out is to take the unexpected and roll with it .

5. "If you're unhappy, why keep yourself in that situation?"

Taught to me by another best friend of mine who is my go to for advice and always comes back with the perfect responses. When times get tough, he really knows exactly what I'm thinking and says the truest things.

"If you aren't happy or satisfied with where you're at, why stay there?"

This goes for relationships, friendships, jobs, and really any life situation. If you find yourself struggling or dragging through where you're at, change it. You have so much potential to be happy and love life. Life isn't about just surviving, it's about living. (Shoutout to one of my old friends for teaching me that too.) It's about making the most of a situation and thriving. Go out there and be happy!

There are five simple but important lessons that I have been taught. They stick with me to this day and influence my everyday life. Yeah, we're all still learning, but let's make the best of what we've been taught so far.