5 Badass Women Every Girl Should Look Up To

Women who use their platforms for good.

231
Instagram

1. Emma Watson

“Young girls are told you have to be the delicate princess. Hermione taught them that you can be the warrior.” Source: BBC America.

Since I first saw "Harry Potter" as a young girl, I have remained fixated on the character of Hemione, and part of still wishes she had been the hero instead of Harry. But really, he couldn't have done it without her. She saved his butt time and time again with her quick wit and determination and fierce loyalty. Emma Watson has definitely lived up to her first character. She split her time between school and acting as she got older and graduated from Brown University with a bachelor's degree in English Literature. That fact alone is incredibly inspirational because most actresses don't even attempt to attend school at all. She has also become a huge face in the feminist movement by creating the campaign HeForShe in 2014 as the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador.

2. Angelina Jolie

“I hope that other women can benefit from my experience… Cancer is still a word that strikes fear into people’s hearts, producing a deep sense of powerlessness… I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.” Source: Mic

Along with being an incredible, Academy Award-winning actress, Jolie is also an advocate for several issues including child education, women's rights, conservation, ending sexual violence, and the protection of refugees. One of the most inspiring bases of her platform for feminism is her story with cancer. Because the gene for breast cancer runs in her family, she made the decision to remove her breasts in 2013 in order to prevent cancer development. She also had both of her ovaries removed in order to prevent ovarian cancer. While some may have judged her for taking such drastic measures when she had no even contracted cancer yet, she said she felt "empowered" by her decision and stated that her "femininity" was in no way affected. By standing for this issue, she reassures cancer survivors and women in general that a healthy body comes above all societal standards.

3. Gal Gadot

“There aren’t enough good roles for strong women. I wish we had more female writers. Most of the female characters you see in films today are the ‘poor heartbroken girl.’” Source: Virtual Jerusalem

Gadot, who plays the iconic role of Wonder Woman in the new 2017 adaptation, was born and raised in Israel and served in the Israeli army for two years when she turned 18, which helped her land her roles in "Fast and Furious," and "Wonder Woman." She was also crowned Miss Israel at the age of 18 and went on to compete in the Miss Universe pageant. While filming "Wonder Woman," she was five months pregnant and still did many of her stunts. The character of Wonder Woman has always been an incredibly empowering one because she is one of the few big-name female superheroes, but the fact that she was pregnant while filming is even more empowering. The female body is so amazing. Wonder Woman's character was named the "Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls" but the United Nations in 2016.

4. Viola Davis

“Vanity destroys your work. That’s the one thing you have to let go of as an actor. I don’t care how sexy or beautiful a woman is. At the end of the day, she has to take her makeup off. At the end of the day, she’s more than just pretty.” Source: Elle

Viola Davis is the only black woman to be nominated for three Academy Awards and is the only black actress to win the Triple Crown of Acting. Obviously, Davis stands for racial equality and sends a powerful message through her acting and her accomplishments. Her success as a woman of color stands for both racial and gender equality. She also has fought against the issue of staggering poverty in her hometown of Central Falls, Rhode Island.

5. Gabourey Sidibe

“How many psychics does it take to convince a sad little girl that she can be more than the world is telling her she is? None. She’s got to be able to convince herself to show up for her own life.” Source: This Is Just My Face: Try Not To Stare by Gabourey Sidibe

Despite being constantly told that she was not pretty or skinny enough for the business, Sidibe became an Oscar-nominated, Academy Award-nominated, and Golden Globe-winning actress for her groundbreaking role in the movie "Precious." In her memoir, "This is Just My Face: Try Not To Stare," she mainly discusses her issues with body image and her struggle to break through in the acting world due to her weight. Her stance on body positivity and self-acceptance is an inspiration to young girls.

Though these women are all different ages, sizes, and colors, they all use their platforms to speak for the voices who can't be heard. They stand for issues that are often overlooked, and they do so with compassion and determination. I will always look up to these women, and I hope they continue to inspire and give a voice to those who don't have one.