5 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

5 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

The basics of ultimate success in college.

13
5 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

Like with any new experience, starting college can be scary. You are in a new environment, surrounded by new people and are at the beginning of a completely new experience in your life. For any college freshman, the first few weeks of your first semester can be intimidating as you are trying to learn how to both be successful and enjoy your years spent in college. Here are five important tips for incoming college freshmen:

1. Go to class.

It sounds ridiculous, but you would be surprised how many people decide that they do not need to go to class. They would rather sleep in, or just do not feel like going. This is one of the biggest mistakes you can make, because not only will you fall behind, but many times, if you miss too many classes, your professor will automatically lower your grade. Classes are just not worth missing for an extra hour of sleep or another episode of the show you are binge watching.

2. Go to your professors' office hours.

Getting to know your professors will be greatly beneficial to you throughout your college career. By going to their office hours, whether it is for them to look over your next paper, or to ask a few last questions before an exam, becoming a familiar face to them outside of class will make them realize that you care about doing well. They will see that you are a hard worker, which can help you even after you are not in their class anymore when the time comes for recommendations for internships and, ultimately, jobs.

3. Stay ahead of your work and don't procrastinate.

When you get your syllabus at the beginning of the semester, all of your test dates and due dates seem so far away. You will likely put them out of your head, and tell yourself that you will worry about them when the time comes. Before you know it, though, you have forgotten all about them, and you walk into class unprepared for the test that day, or without your paper that is due. Always try to write down dates in your planner so you are aware that they are coming up, and begin working on projects and papers at least a week before they are due--never wait for the night before.

4. Get involved.

This is probably the most important thing to do when you start college. While getting involved on campus might seem like it may be difficult when you are a new face, it can be as easy as joining a club or going to events. Being an involved student not only looks good on your resume, but it will help you to make friends Hey! I was unable to verify the copyright status of the cover photo you used! Use Pexels, Pixabay, Wikimedia, Flickr Creative Commons, Unsplash, Stocksnap, maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/, Splitshire, StartupStockPhotos, kaboompics, or Public Domain Pictures or personal photos to get ones we know we can use!and is guaranteed to make your college experience all you ever wanted it to be.

5. Don't stress too much.

I know, saying don't stress in college, now that has to be a joke, right? But, it's true! Coming from someone that stresses probably more than I need to, it is really not worth it. Yes, it is important to do well, get involved, and do everything you can to be successful, but it is also important to relax and have fun! College only lasts so long, and while you have to use it to learn how to use it to start your career, it is also important to enjoy it, because the years go by quicker than you think they will.