5 Reasons Why My Roommates Made Our First Apartment Our Home Away From Home

How did I survive this long without you?

1032
everypixel.com

After living in a dorm, aka a shoebox, my freshman year of college, I decided my sophomore year that I was going to upgrade my college lifestyle by living in an apartment off-campus. Ah, no more RA's constantly holding hall meetings, room checks, and having very limited living space, how exciting!

But my first apartment meant way more to me not only because I finally felt like an adult living on my own away from home, but also because of the people I lived with all year, my roommates.

To be able to have so much freedom while being away at college and living with some of your best friends is one of the best experiences I've ever had. Waking up each morning and always having someone to have coffee with, or someone to sit on the couch with all night to keep you company while you stress over the crazy amount of school work you have is so beyond comforting.

Going to school out of state, my roommates truly made our first apartment together feel like home away from home, and here are 5 reasons why:

1. They're always there for you...literally.

After a long, tiring day of classes, there is nothing better than walking into your apartment and immediately hearing, "HI" from your roomie. Having someone home to always vent to after a bad day or share exciting news with is the best, especially when you live with your best friends who love you, support you, and know exactly how to lift your spirits.

2. Spontaneous trips for food, the best kind of trips.

It's all about the look you give your roommate after saying, "I really want food" even if its at 2 a.m. Some of the best memories I've made in college are from the Saturday night's spent inside on the couch in pajamas with a box of pizza on our laps with a scary movie on the television. I wouldn't want to dress in comfy clothes and cuddle on the couch all night eating fast food with anyone else.

3. Always remembering the little things about each other.

Whether it's their favorite food they like to heat up late at night, quirky hobbies, or something someone is passionate about, living with people who accept you for who you are and remembering what is important to you is what makes your friendship so much stronger and special. I will forever tag you in videos on Facebook of your favorite dogs and food tutorials because I know it'll make you smile.

4. For putting up with me when I am cranky.

Admittedly, we all have our bad days. When you are far from home, school is stressing you out, and all you want to do is play with your dogs but can't, it is so easy to get into a funk. Luckily, I was always lifted from my cranky moods by having someone there to listen to me vent and putting up with my overdramatic and overemotional self. I don't know how I would have survived without you both.

5. They're equivalent to being sisters.

Although we might not be blood-related, the bond I share with my roomies is like none other. Having the opportunity to become so close to people and share new experiences with, like living together, is a blessing in itself and I wouldn't have it any other way with anyone else. We cry, laugh, stress-out, and smile together, like sisters. They're immediately like family no matter what, and nothing can break that.