5 Funniest Harry Potter Parodies Pre- "Harry Potter And The Cursed Child"

Action! Lights! Parody!

191

Come July 2016, Platform 9 ¾ will be up and running again to shuttle future Wizarding World leaders to Hogwarts, but with a twist. J.K. Rowling was bitten by the "Glee" bug and collaborated with Jack Thorne and John Tiffany to create "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child," the first official Harry Potter story to be presented as a musical, and the eighth Harry Potter story. This summer, the Palace Theatre in London’s West End will open its grand drape to an audience of Harry Potter fanatics eager to see what happened after Harry and Ginny bid their oldest children, James Sirius and Albus Severus (Rowling kind of gave up on thinking of names, huh?), adieu at the train station.

The play, which will unsurprisingly come in two parts (#commercialism), focuses on Harry as an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic and his relationship with his son, Albus, as he enters his first year of Hogwarts. Albus struggles with living up to his father’s legacy as the boy who lived, as well as with the weight of schoolwork. With Severus gone, though, his workload shouldn’t too bad; especially if he can find a Hermione-type friend to write his essays for him while he goofs around and flirts with Hufflepuffs.

"Harry Potter" as a musical almost sounds like a parody, despite Rowling’s promise that her fans will understand why she chose not to release the eighth story as a book. So while the play is assumed to be as dark and full of adventure as the past seven books, there’s no doubt that the two part production will spur a plethora of fan-favorite "Harry Potter" parodies for the younger generation, as well as the OG generation of HP lovers, to enjoy. Before the future influx of Harry Potter satire floods our social media feeds, we mustn't forget the iconic parodies inspired by the first seven books.

1. Potter Puppet Pals

"Potter Puppet Pals" is one of the most basic parodies for "Harry Potter" fans, created by Neil Cicierega. The first flash animation of the series, “Bothering Snape,” came out in 2003; how old does that make you feel? The most iconic video of the puppet series, released in 2007 and awarded the 22nd most-viewed video on YouTube in 2013, is “The Mysterious Ticking Noise.” True HP fans know this video by heart, and most of them have probably made their own reenactment of the video at home. Daniel Radcliffe once mentioned in an interview that he thought the cast of Harry Potter should do a live action version of the video, but since that never happened, we can only assume that he has a tape of Emma Watson and himself imitating Cicierega’s video.

2. A Very Potter Musical

J.K. Rowling isn't that original, you guys, because they’ve already made a "Harry Potter" play. Honestly, Darren Criss should sue Rowling for copying him. Yup, that’s right, "Glee" fans, your boy Darren Criss co-wrote music and lyrics with A.J. Holmes for a musical about the "Harry Potter" novels, based on a book by Matt Lang, Nick Lang, and Brian Holden. StarKid Productions produced the hilarious parody, which was first performed in 2009 at the University of Michigan, AKA Criss’ alma mater.

"A Very Potter Musical" brings Rowling’s characters to life and parodies her series in the most hilarious way. Voldemort is portrayed as a sexy villain with a soft side, Harry Potter is a chick magnet who woos his baes with serenades and is a wiz on the guitar, Ron Weasley is always eating something on stage, Hermione is a troll, Ginny is a Harry Potter fangirl, Malfoy is a pansy who just wants Harry to be his friend, and Dumbledore DGAF (which is evident when he tells first years before sorting them into houses, “So basically, I’ve been putting everyone who looks like a good guy into Gryffindor, a bad guy into Slytherin, and the others can go wherever the hell they want”). Probably the best part about the play is Harry, Ron, and Dumbledore’s obsession with Zefron.

3. Wizard People, Dear Reader

True "Harry Potter" fans hate the movies because they don’t include pivotal plot points from the books (like where the hell is Peeves?), and those who have never read the books but watch the movies have no idea what’s going on, but keep watching them anyway to be trendy, and because of Emma Watson. So imagine listening to someone who has never read "Harry Potter" give you a synopsis of the plot from the movie. Actually, you don’t have to imagine it; just listen to Brad Neely’s unauthorized and alternative soundtrack to "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone." The comic book artist released a 35-chapter audiobook in 2004 intended to replace the film’s audio track. Neely uses a comical voice in his parody and portrays Harry as a god, calling him a “beautiful animal” and “destroyer of the world.” Characters and places are hilariously renamed, making even the most boring parts of the movie entertaining.

4. Muggle Hustle

WHAT UP, THUGGLES? If you haven’t heard of "Muggle Hustle," then you’re not using Twitter right. A 20-something dude from Texas took to his favorite social media outlet to tweet his reactions to reading the Harry Potter series for the first time. Similarly to Neely’s "Wizard People, Dear Reader," "Muggle Hustle" also consists of recorded audio tracks to play over the "Harry Potter" movie series. The HP fan ended his live tweeting of the series in 2014, but picked up on several other series, including "The Hunger Games." A complete collection of "Muggle Hustle’s" tweets can be found on his website, including some of his best jabs at Voldemort’s obsession with Harry.

5. Harry Potter and the Brokeback Mountain

One YouTuber used "Brokeback Mountain," the classic cowboy movie that challenged hegemonic societal views of homosexuality, to parody "Harry Potter." The series of videos depicts fanfiction relationships between "Harry Potter" characters, using the format for the trailer for the original "Brokeback Mountain" movie. This parody follows the romance between archnemeses, Harry and Voldemort. Another parody features Ron and Harry in an intimate relationship, which seems a little more plausible, but hilarious nonetheless.