5 Habits You Can Adopt Today That Your Body Will Thank You For Later

17

We scrutinize bad habits all the time, but remembering to adopt good ones is often forgotten. Making little adjustments to your daily routine will reap long term benefits for your body and the planet. Here are five, simple ones you can start today:

1. Eat breakfast every day.

The cliché “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” isn’t a recommendation. It’s said so much we forget the importance behind it. I am the queen of hitting snooze, but never to the point I miss breakfast. If you’re not getting enough nutrition, skipping one of your three daily meals just a few times a week can be dangerous. Studies show that being underweight can be even deadlier than overweight.

2. Carry a water bottle everywhere.

Drinking enough water doesn’t come easy to everyone. Buy a water bottle you like, maybe even add a sticker, and carry it everywhere. Doctors recommend drinking eight glasses of water a day, two liters. That’s hard to do without being mindful of your consumption.

If you always bring a water bottle, you won’t buy drinks when you’re thirsty. And, you’ll cut out the average person’s largest sugar intake: sweetened drinks.

3. Get your heart pumping.

Working out may be your first thought here, and that’s an effective way to go, but keep in mind that errand exercise adds up. Try always taking the stairs, parking far from entrances, and going for brief walks while you wait to be seated at restaurants.

Getting your heart rate up is an obvious plus for your body, but it’s an energy boost too. If you feel drowsy at work, do a quick jog around the office, or wherever. You’ll come back eyes wide open, feeling refreshed and energized.

4. Monitor how much gas you use.

Americans consumed $7.19 billion worth of petroleum products last year. On average that’s 19.63 million barrels a day. For a nonrenewable resource, that seems aggressive. And that’s not even considering the pollution.

The planet aside, consider your wallet. Monitoring your gas consumption will not only make you feel better as a consumer, but it will save you a good chunk of money. See for yourself how quickly it adds up.

5. Set goals, and hold yourself accountable.

I’m sure you’ve had at least five people in your life preach about setting goals. You might think...I already have goals. I don’t need a piece of paper to remind me. Well you’re missing out because goal sheets are fun. If you like to make lists, it’s a similar effect. Setting goals is a great way to hold yourself accountable to trying new things and learning new skills. Getting creative with goal making is the best part. Check out some of these goal sheet ideas to get started.