5 Great Moderate Hikes To Do In Fort Collins

You'll need to try all of these.
154

1. Horsetooth Rock

One of the most iconic places in all of Fort Collins, this rock formation is easy to spot on the foothills at any time. Doing this hike is a must when living out here and it is always pretty popular on the trails (which is a great sign!).

Distance: 6 mile loop

Elevation Gain: 1,526 feet

Time: 3-3.5 hours

Physicality: Moderate

Tips: Bring plenty of water, good hiking boots, and be prepared for some jagged rock climbing at the very end. I promise the view is worth it though!

2. Horsetooth Falls

Horsetooth Falls is an amazing hike--especially since its right on the trail to Horsetooth Rock. Not only is it fast and fun, the actual falls are breathtaking. You won't be disappointed with this one!

Distance: 2.35 miles

Elevation Gain: 425 feet

Time: 1-1.5 hours

Physicality: Easy Moderate

Tips: If you want to see the falls rushing, definitely try going in the spring between March and May. Although the hike is still awesome without the falls, it makes it that much better in the end!

3. Arthurs Rock

This crazy hike will leave you with a view like you've never seen before! Arthur's Rock is a more difficult trail, with less switchbacks and more climbing. I still would definitely recommend it and it has amazing wildlife to see no matter when you go.

Distance: 3 miles

Elevation Gain: 1036 feet

Time: 2-3 hours

Physicality: Moderate

Tips: Don't let the false summit fool you or you will be sorry. But nearing the end, be prepared for a climb and a bit of wind. I recommend bringing a light windbreaker or jacket, since it can get a little chilly.

4. Hike to the "A" (Foothills Trail)

CSU’s famous “A” comes from our roots as Aggies. Before Colorado State was a land grant institution, it was Colorado A&M. Yet, the tradition lives on each year as students paint the “A”, hike up to it, or light it on fire during Homecoming week.

Distance: 0.5 miles

Elevation Gain: 700 feet

Time: 30 minutes

Physicality: Easy Moderate

Tips: Its also a great trail for bikers and runners if that interests you.

Can’t make the hike? No worries! There is a road leading to a parking lot right across the street from the “A”. You can get the whole experience without the hike and you’ll still have the amazing view overlooking the reservoir and CSU’s campus!

5. Grey Rock

Of all the hikes on this list, you have to do Grey Rock! This was the best, most beautiful, and amazing hike I have ever been on. There is nothing as rewarding as this trail.

Distance: 7.4 miles

Elevation Gain: 2,417 feet

Time: 3-4 hours

Physicality: Moderate to Difficult

Tips: Bring your camera, reach the summit at sunrise or sunset, and enjoy the beauty. There is so much to capture along the way and give yourself time to just sit and revel in the view.