5 Goals For 5 Weeks: How I'm Going To Keep Myself Sane

I like goals yet I’m not good at following through with them.

111
Nick Scheerb

This summer hasn’t really gone off with a bang, I guess. Well, yes, a bang, because I split my kneecap open after surgery. Don’t ask—I’m talented. Since I am on crutches, and my leg is currently in a brace the length of my leg, I guess you could say I have a lot of time on my hands. five weeks to be exact. I like goals yet I’m not good at following through with them. Honestly, I’m over lounging on the couch and watching 14 hours of In the Cold Blood for hours. Here are five realistic Goals I can achieve in the next five weeks.

1. Get your act together

I have some medical bills to pay, set up a pharmacy card, and must hand in that story to my professor for my fall workshop class. There is a ton of things going on in my personal life, but I must stop using that as an excuse. These are easy, quick and simple things to do. (Okay, maybe not the story for my professor since I’ve hit a dead end… but it will get done.)

2. Read a book

Last week my mom and I went to Sherman’s Book Store in Bar Harbor, and I grabbed Carrie Jone’s book Flying which I’ve been meaning to read for a while now. I love her series NEED, so time to fall in love with another series of hers. I’m not someone who you will always find a book with unless it’s for homework. Yet I want to read more this summer, so here’s a start.

3. Get back into journaling

In high school and middle school at home, you would always find me writing in bed. Even at Christian camp, I was always writing. Writing has been something I have been passionate about, and something that has always been a healthy outlet for me. It only makes sense that I get back into it. For some reason, I stopped, and I have all these notebooks lying around my room. Normally my mom is buying me new notebooks, but right now it’s my job to start writing.

4. Listen to my body

Two knee surgeries in a week, and then getting my wisdom teeth out. Talk about a fun couple of weeks! Something my advisor at school constantly tells me, listen to my body. I’m not very good at it. I try to ignore the signs, and act like nothing is wrong. I tend to push myself, and well I’ve had five knee surgeries, so I guess I could be doing better.

5. Eat healthier

Eating healthier is something I’ve always had a struggle with. It’s not like I don’t like veggies and fruit. I just really love ice-cream and carbs. I’m currently on the “The ACL Diet” my mom calls it, mainly because I only really get to eat what she brings me. Yet I want to keep myself accountable too. Drink water when I’m hungry because I’m probably just bored. Fewer sweets and more veggies. Simple things that will help me in the long run.