5 Gifts For The Parents Who Have It All

I am a college student, and my bank account--like those of many other college students--is never as full as I'd like it to be. That's a simple fact of life.

My parents, on the other hand, are full-time working professionals in the STEM field.Their finances reflect their generally lucrative positions. That's a fact of life, too.

Anything I'd be able to buy my parents, they could buy themselves without a second thought--which is why, at least to me, buying them material gifts seems almost...wasteful. In my opinion, getting them something they could have more easily obtained themselves goes against the very point of gift giving. No, I want to be able to give my parents something they wouldn't have thought of--or wouldn't have time for--regularly. Here are five things you can give to your parents if, like mine, they seem to have everything.

Movie tickets for the whole family

c1.staticflickr.com

If you've been away at college a while, your parents probably want nothing more than some quality time with you--so what better gift than to give them that time by taking them out to a movie with you? This gift doesn't have to be super expensive--it's especially feasible if you're an only child. Why not kill two birds with one stone and book tickets to a movie you've been wanting to see?

Art/Cooking classes 

Image: Art classes — The 567 Center

goo.gl

Between her job, her kids, her husband and...well, her job, my mother has never gotten time to pursue one of the hobbies she's always wanted to indulge: painting. If your parents are short on time but full of creativity, art classes could be the perfect gift for them. Alternatively, if they want to learn how to cook or how to improve their cooking, cooking classes would fit the bill--and hey, better food for you, so it's a win-win. Beware of the costs of these classes though, they can get expensive and may nto be financially feasible for anyone.

Date-Night Planning

Image: Date Night | Google Assistant

goo.gl

Every couple needs some romance, no matter how long they've been together. Make it easier for your parents to get some alone time by booking them a couple of fun activities to do together and offering to watch the family pet/your siblings/yourself while they're out. Some parents find it particularly difficult to find time for each other--if that's true in your case, they'll be extra pleased with your thoughtful gift.

Spa booking

Image: The Spa at Napa River Inn - Up To 47% Off - Napa, CA | Groupon

goo.gl

Maybe what your mom--or dad, or guardian--needs is a nice pedicure date with you! Book a mani-pedi and treat yourself to some polish while treating them to some family time and quality conversation. Pay for their mani-pedi if you can, or maybe just cover your own--either way, they'll be glad to spend some time doing something you both enjoy, together!

Dinner reservations 

Image: Departure Restaurant in Portland - Asian Cuisine | The Nines Hotel

goo.gl

Everyone eats--so you can't go wrong with a dinner reservation for the family. Bonus points for picking a new restaurant in the area, or maybe one your parents have been talking about trying for a long time. This is the perfect gift for adventurous parents who may not have the time or courage to book reservations at a new restaurant themselves. What I love about this gift is the financial flexibility it offers: you can offer to pay for everyone's meal, or leave it at booking the dinner. Either way, you can be sure that they'll love it.