5 YA Fairy Tale Retellings You Should Read

Who doesn't like a spin on the classics?
256

In YA literature, there's a trend with basing novels off of classic fairytales such as Snow White and Cinderella. Some of the most popular series, such as Marrissa Meyer's "Lunar Chronicles," use fairy tales as inspiration for their stories. For all those fairytale lovers out there, here're a few books that may interest you.

1. "Spindle" by E.K. Johnston

This "Sleeping Beauty" retelling takes a spin on the classic story by starting off with the demon, our Maleficent character, in a crumbling prison. The demon regains her power and waits to curse the princess. They must break the curse before the demon becomes the queen, but the web of power is tangled. E.K. Johnston has also written an Aladdin retelling by the name of "A Thousand Nights."

2. "The Shadow Queen" by C.J. Redwine

"The Shadow Queen" is a "Snow White"-based novel about a crown princess/fugitive who is tasked to kill the wicked queen who killed her father and took the throne. On the other side, there is a prince troubled with his endangered kingdom, who strikes a deal with the queen to become a huntsman and bring the wicked queen the crown princess' heart. C.J. Redwine has a second book in this series based off Rumpelstiltskin called "The Wish Granter."

3. "A Whole New World" by Liz Braswell

As part of the "Twisted Tales" series, "A Whole New World" starts off with the question, "What if Aladdin never found the lamp?" Instead, Jafar is the one who steals the lamp and uses his first two wishes to become sultan and the most powerful sorcerer in the world. Aladdin and Princess Jasmine must team up to stop Jafar before he makes his final wish. The "Twisted Tales" series also includes a "Sleeping Beauty" retelling called "Once Upon a Dream," and a "Beauty and the Beast" retelling called "As Old as Time."

4. "Bellamy and the Brute" by Alicia Michaels

"Bellamy and the Brute" is an interesting take on "Beauty and the Beast." The main character, Bellamy, takes a summer job babysitting at the Baldwin Mansion, but is told to never go to the third floor. There are rumors about their hermit son, Tate, who has been hidden away from a deforming illness since he was sixteen. There are lots of mysteries Bellamy encounters in the castle, but she is determined to figure them out and right the wrongs that have been done.

5. "Heartless" by Marissa Meyer

As a retelling of Alice in "Wonderland," "Heartless" takes us back to the Red Queen before she was the terror of Wonderland. In this novel, we see the lovely Cath become the villain she is in the classic story. She starts out as a girl in love with someone she shouldn't be. Marissa Meyer is also the author of "The Lunar Chronicles," which is based off of "Cinderella," "Little Red Riding Hood," "Rapunzel," and "Snow White."