5 Easy Tips to Get More Retweets

5 Easy Tips to Get More Retweets

Tips to Get More Retweets
16

One of the measures you can gauge success on Twitter is the number of retweets you get when you post something. Retweets also carry the advantage of increasing your exposure significantly, which results in more followers for your twitter handle. But most people, i.e. novices, keep using twitter to simply post text content without realizing that with just a few changes, they can wildly improve their chances of being retweeted. So, here are five tips to get retweets from the Twitterati.

Add Images

It’s widely accepted that people are naturally attracted to visuals and would rather spend time observing gif’s or glancing through pictures than reading text. So, don’t stop with the plain text. Instead, add some photos with your tweets. Remember to make sure that the photos are related to the subject matter in some way, and have the potential to generate viewer interest. Keep thinking from the perspective of the viewer.

A good number of images that are retweeted and shared across social media are those that convey a humorous idea or a simplified version of some essential but complex concept. As such, if you can find or create images that humorously portray your tweet, the chances of your tweet going viral increase manifold.

Ask for Retweets

Ask your followers to retweet. You might think that it may not be a good idea, but the reality is that asking for retweets actually puts an intent into the viewer’s minds. But remember not to ask for retweets on every single tweet. Use it sparingly on tweets you think have a chance of going viral.

And remember to use the word ‘Retweet,’ and not ‘RT.’ Tweets using the abbreviation ‘RT’ generally get fewer retweets than the ones using the full word ‘Retweet.’

Use Links

When tweeting, try to add a short link about where the users can find more on the subject matter. This way, the people who actually visit the link and find it useful will have an impetus to share your tweets with their followers. Use URL shorteners with providers like bit.ly and goo.gl. If you can, avoid shorteners with longer names like tinyurl.com and such.

Mind the Timings

The time you post the tweet plays a big role in determining how viral it goes. If you live in Washington DC, but wish to get retweets from Tokyo, then you need to get the time factor right. The tweet should be posted at a time when people in Tokyo use social media the most.

So, have a clear understanding of the geographical location of the audience you want to primarily target and schedule the tweets accordingly.

Use Hashtags

Remember to use relevant hashtags in your tweets. This allows people who follow such hashtags to discover your tweet and retweet it if they find it interesting.The hashtags must have some connection to the subject matter of your tweet. If a hashtag has no connection to the content of your tweet, don’t use it no matter how viral they are. So, avoid using hashtags like #batman or #yummydishes when tweeting about a business presentation. If you end up implementing such irrelevant tactics, the users who have followed you will develop a negative outlook and may end up unfollowing your account.

So, if you have just started out tweeting, try to implement the above techniques from now on and you will definitely see a marked improvement in user interaction. Above all, remember to keep posting useful and interesting content.